Old 04-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Syringa in a pot?

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I presume you don't mean Syringa vulgaris (lilac), but mock orange? If
the latter, they are quite difficult to kill, but you would need to

keep
a potted one well watered and well fed.

Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) is not a mock orange. It is one of

the
lilacs, a Syringa emodi variety. 15 ft tall, deciduous

As I said, Syringa vulgaris (lilac).....

Not Syringa vulgaris, but Syringa emodi
But let it be..

Brian just said 'syringa' which is a movable feast to us old-timers.

Franz
Franz

Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Brian Watson

"Chris Stewart" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I have been given a Syringa Vulgaris/Emodi (var.Katherine Havemeyer)

I would give it a bigger pot, and some decent soil with good
drainage. It will survive - it may thrive, but you need to make sure the
growing conditions are OK - eg water it regularly, feed it regularly -
experiment with the fertilisers if you must, but a normal growmore would

do.
It's not an exact science, but most things will grow in pots - (think

bonsai
trees - they're in pots for years, but are maintained and fed.) Go on,

give
it a bash - my ash, rowan, purple elder, hazel, minarette apples, phormium
etc all survive, outdoors in pots of varying sizes in Aberdeen, and don't

do
as well as their cousins in the garden, but flower and look good never the
less.
Chris S

Thanks Chris and also to all others who replied.

I am going to give it a go in a larger pot with Growmore and bonemeal and
see if I can get it through the first summer.

My daughter (who gave it to me) is prepared to take the risk too.

:-))
--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Rusty Hinge1

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I am going to give it a go in a larger pot with Growmore and bonemeal and
see if I can get it through the first summer.

My daughter (who gave it to me) is prepared to take the risk too.

:-))

I don't think that treatment will help your daughter's development much.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Rusty Hinge1

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

As I said, Syringa vulgaris (lilac).....

Not Syringa vulgaris, but Syringa emodi
But let it be..

pedant

Syringa vulgaris sub-species emodi?

/pedant

Old 04-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Brian Watson

"Rusty Hinge1" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I am going to give it a go in a larger pot with Growmore and bonemeal

and
see if I can get it through the first summer.

My daughter (who gave it to me) is prepared to take the risk too.

:-))

I don't think that treatment will help your daughter's development much.

You haven't seen my daughter - a few months in a pot of Growmore'd do her a
power of good.

:-)

--
Brian
"What's the point in growing up if you can't behave like a kid when you want

Syringa afghanica Sue United Kingdom 3 26-07-2010 07:42 AM
Syringa vulgaris e+d[_2_] Garden Photos 1 28-04-2009 09:04 PM
Syringa Vulgaris 'Primrose' Lilac Bob Hallsworth United Kingdom 3 07-05-2006 05:39 PM
lilac - syringa vulgaris aucubaefolis KD Gardening 3 21-05-2005 03:44 PM