Old 02-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Steunenberg.Willem

Default Ashes

We are heating the house exclusively with wood and I am using the ashes as a
fertilizer in the garden.

Does any body has an experience., values or quantities to be used??

Thanks

willem

Old 02-01-2004, 05:12 PM
don

"Steunenberg.Willem" wrote in message
We are heating the house exclusively with wood and I am using the ashes as

fertilizer in the garden.

Does any body has an experience., values or quantities to be used??

Thanks

willem

It's best to slake (wet) the ash before use as it is fairly corrosive in the
dry form.
Fairly high in Potassium which aids flowering

Use about 25g per sq.metre

Old 02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Emrys Davies

Just use a good coating - about an 1", otherwise the ground may become
soggy. When you dig it in it will help to make the soil pliable as well
as being a good source of potash.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:08:14 +0100, "Steunenberg.Willem"
wrote:

We are heating the house exclusively with wood and I am using the ashes as a
fertilizer in the garden.

Does any body has an experience., values or quantities to be used??

Thanks

willem

Wood ashes tend to be very alkaline and caustic when fresh and contain
potassium, as others have said, but also calcium and magnesium. I
wouldn't put them near ericaceous plants such as rhododendrons,
azaleas, camellias or summer-flowering heathers.

--
Chris

Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport Edible Gardening 8 21-03-2006 09:03 AM
Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport United Kingdom 6 13-02-2006 08:57 AM
Ashes & Soot in Pond stricks760 Ponds 3 28-11-2003 05:44 PM
Planting a rose bush+cremated ashes? Emil Roses 8 12-06-2003 06:44 AM
Ashes to ashes Nelson Kirsch Gardening 2 16-05-2003 04:08 PM