Old 02-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Sacha

Default And in the New Year Garden......

The NT garden Trelissick, reports having 250 different things in flower,
including something like 38 species of Camellia.
I was amazed to see our Cassea corymbosa in full flower just the other day -
it is a very strange winter but a pleasant one in those terms!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:52:37 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

The NT garden Trelissick, reports having 250 different things in flower,
including something like 38 species of Camellia.
I was amazed to see our Cassea corymbosa in full flower just the other day -
it is a very strange winter but a pleasant one in those terms!

And there are primroses in flower on the bank in our lane!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk
Old 03-01-2004, 11:10 AM
green earth

Sacha wrote:

The NT garden Trelissick, reports having 250 different things in flower,
including something like 38 species of Camellia.
I was amazed to see our Cassea corymbosa in full flower just the other day -
it is a very strange winter but a pleasant one in those terms!

In my garden the Feverfew (Chrysanthemum Parthenium) is in flower

Old 03-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from green earth contains these words:

In my garden the Feverfew (Chrysanthemum Parthenium) is in flower

Difficult to keep feverfew to any timetable IME. My mother started some
because she sometimes suffered from migraines.

Promble is, feverfew is supposed to be taken as a tisane to *PREVENT* a
migraine, and she never quite got round to it until it was too late. As
a rearguard treatment it isn't very effective.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Promble is, feverfew is supposed to be taken as a tisane to *PREVENT* a
migraine, and she never quite got round to it until it was too late. As
a rearguard treatment it isn't very effective.

I think the leaves can also be eaten in sandwiches but it's supposed to be
rather bitter, AFAIK.

Yes, but not disgustingly so.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 AM
andrewpreece

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Promble is, feverfew is supposed to be taken as a tisane to *PREVENT*

migraine, and she never quite got round to it until it was too late.

As
a rearguard treatment it isn't very effective.

I think the leaves can also be eaten in sandwiches but it's supposed to

be
rather bitter, AFAIK.

Yes, but not disgustingly so.

Allegedly use sparingly as Feverfew causes mouth ulcers in some people.

Andy.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 AM
andrewpreece

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
The NT garden Trelissick, reports having 250 different things in flower,
including something like 38 species of Camellia.
I was amazed to see our Cassea corymbosa in full flower just the other

day -
it is a very strange winter but a pleasant one in those terms!
--
Sacha

I've had weird stuff in flower this December ( Red Campion, Cornflowers
Forget-me-Nots, Wallflowers etc ), but the plant that takes the biscuit is
the Tree Mallow
( Lavatera Arborea ). This amazing plant is as prolific now as it was in
mid-summer
in terms of flowers, and the flowers do not seem to suffer from the rain and
wind either.
I cannot think of another plant that is so prolific, bullet-proof and
insensible to the
seasons. Perhaps I'm just lucky this year as it's the first time I've grown
one.

Andy.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Rod

Sacha wrote:

The NT garden Trelissick, reports having 250 different things in flower,
including something like 38 species of Camellia.
I was amazed to see our Cassea corymbosa in full flower just the other day -
it is a very strange winter but a pleasant one in those terms!

2 of our 50 or so Camellias, C. japonica 'Nobilissima, C. x Williamsii
'Inspiration' - C. x Williamsii 'St. Ewe' (one of my favourites) won't be long
and C. j. 'Cornish Snow' will probably open this week. Our poor little
Hammamelis 'Pallida' is at last looking as though it's here to stay. It's the
second attempt in that spot - the first one was doa and this one has been in
about 8 years. As so often with Hammamelis it was bought in flower in a
container which had been kept far too wet so it survived the first year by the
skin of its teeth, since then a Horse Chestnut dropped half of its crown on it,
then a nearby Beech dropped a limb on it and a storm last winter dropped a
couple of big lumps of Oak on it. What's left is a reasonable shape and it's
full of flowers and smelling wonderful. Nearly enough sweet violets to fill a
tiny vase but I resisted the temptation.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 05-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Sacha

Rod5/1/04 7:42
erlin.de

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Our Sarcococcas are going great guns, the Lonicera purpusii is flowering its
socks off (probably because I hacked it to bits earlier this year) the
Gordonia axillaris is still going and the mimosa has just started to flower.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk