Old 04-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Robin on picture rail - OT, but need help

In article , Janet
Baraclough. . writes
One early summer morning our back door stood open all day long. When I
came in at the end of a long day gardening, I found a pair of swallows
sitting on the open beams; they had started a mud nest at the top apex
of the dining-room ceiling :~}

We know of a farmer up here who always sleeps with his bedroom window
open and every year a pair of swallows nest on top of his wardrobe!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:

One early summer morning our back door stood open all day long. When I
came in at the end of a long day gardening, I found a pair of swallows
sitting on the open beams; they had started a mud nest at the top apex
of the dining-room ceiling :~}

I found that a solitary wasp had begun a nest in a hole in the woodwork
of my main room (not here) which had been drilled at some time to let a
wire through.

I left the window open just enough to let her in and out until the nest
was finished, filled with anaesthetised small caterpillars, and sealed.

The wopslet hatched and pupated and broke out of its cosy hole, but I
didn't see the going of it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

After I'd searched the room for half an hour, I finally spotted it
regarding me from just beside the radiator.

It then ducked under a low table with table cloth hanging to the floor
all around and various boxes underneath. It was very quiet and non
panicky and let me catch it by coming towards it with a fold of the
cloth and quietly putting my other hand over its back. So we took it
outside where it fluttered up into the hedge.

I don't have high hopes of it - I don't think it should have been that
easy to catch. But we've done our best by it.

Glad to hear you got him out safely.

Robins seem almost fearless. I've often had them pottering around so
close it's a wonder they don't get stepped on or dug in. Young ones even
hop around the cats :-(

Janet
Old 04-01-2004, 10:32 AM
martin

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:49:41 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Janet
Baraclough. . writes
One early summer morning our back door stood open all day long. When I
came in at the end of a long day gardening, I found a pair of swallows
sitting on the open beams; they had started a mud nest at the top apex
of the dining-room ceiling :~}

We know of a farmer up here who always sleeps with his bedroom window
open and every year a pair of swallows nest on top of his wardrobe!!!

I have friends, in France, who woke up to find an owl perched at the
end of their bed.
--
Martin
Old 04-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , martin
writes
wrote:

In article , Janet
Baraclough. . writes
One early summer morning our back door stood open all day long. When I
came in at the end of a long day gardening, I found a pair of swallows
sitting on the open beams; they had started a mud nest at the top apex
of the dining-room ceiling :~}

We know of a farmer up here who always sleeps with his bedroom window
open and every year a pair of swallows nest on top of his wardrobe!!!

I have friends, in France, who woke up to find an owl perched at the
end of their bed.

Hmm, around here that means there's going to be a death in the house!

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 04-01-2004, 12:33 PM
martin

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:10:38 +0000, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

I have friends, in France, who woke up to find an owl perched at the
end of their bed.

Hmm, around here that means there's going to be a death in the house!

in Alpes Maritime it means that they left the windows open on a hot
night :-)
--
Martin

Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Rusty Hinge1

The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

What's "a hot night"?

If you don't know by now, you are unlikely to, ever.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
martin

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:39:03 GMT, Rusty Hinge1
wrote:

The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

What's "a hot night"?

If you don't know by now, you are unlikely to, ever.

To wit, to woo?
--
Martin

Old 04-01-2004, 09:32 PM
martin

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:52:20 +0000, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

In article , Rusty Hinge1
writes
The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

What's "a hot night"?

If you don't know by now, you are unlikely to, ever.

Hmm, I wondered who would be the first to discover an "entendre" in what
I wrote!

What did you expect I gave a serious answer and somebody else didn't.
--
Martin

Need help / growing Red Robin tomatoes indoors whitewater262 Gardening 3 16-10-2006 10:28 PM
Stop Network Rail Tree Felling VQSV United Kingdom 6 21-01-2006 11:41 PM
Light Rail John Johnson Gardening 1 29-04-2004 12:03 AM
wire for split rail fence Dave Lawns 9 09-03-2004 04:13 AM
wire for split rail fence Dave Lawns 1 05-03-2004 04:28 AM