Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Stephen Williams

Default Quince fruits (Recipe - long post)

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message
I have just collected a couple of dozen fruits from my Japanese Quince.
Though they're as hard as bullets, most had fallen to the ground.

Will they ripen, or is that it?

How might I use such a relatively small quantity?
--
Andy Mabbett

Quince Fruits.
Should you decide to cook your fruits and produce a jelly then here is a
recipe I have used, passed on from my mum.
4 lb Quince
6pt Water
Rind & Juice of 3 lemons

--------------

1lb of sugar to 1 pint of juice.

You will need a large jam kettle.
Wash the fruits
Cut them into quarters (at this point you will have seeds flying in all
directions, so DUCK!)
I do not use the seeds at all.
Bring the water,quarters, rind and juice of the lemons to the boil until the
fruit has softened enough for you to either mash or strain through a muslin.
Baby muslins can be useful for this.

When you are satisfied all the goodness has been captured. Measure the
liquid, incorporate the sugar, bring to a rapid boil for at least
10 -20mins.
Test for setting. I usually place a tea plate in the fridge to cool, then
drop the mixture on the plate, leave it for a short time to attempt to set.
then using your little finger gently push the jelly mix and if it wrinkles
this jelly is ready to go into a pre-prepared washed and well heated jar.
Should the jelly continue to stay runny, then lick the finger, clear the
plate of any other delicious jelly, wash the plate and go through the same
process again 5 mins later.

I have made this Jelly more than once and found it difficult to set, until
two years ago I decided to eliminate the lemon, as this made it very bitter,
and used prepared sugar with added pectin. The results gave me a tart
jelly, not bitter with a less runny texture which I find preferable to the
first few batches I made.

Happy Jelly Making.
One other tip you may wish to use is to cap the Jelly with a wax coating
after it has set in the Jar.

Sue