Old 04-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Sooty growth on holly

"fumier" wrote in message
Well developed holly, pride and joy near front door has developed a
dirty/sooty mold since the summer. Back of leaves has white
"seedy"/pupae c.2mm, now dead. Have treated with usual glyphosates.

What on earth do you mean by "treated with usual glyphosates"? Glyphosate
is a herbicide which will kill the plant

Never had any berries. All advice gratefully received.
David

Franz

Old 04-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Rusty Hinge1

The message
from fumier contains these words:

Well developed holly, pride and joy near front door has developed a
dirty/sooty mold since the summer. Back of leaves has white
"seedy"/pupae c.2mm, now dead. Have treated with usual glyphosates.
Never had any berries. All advice gratefully received.

You've treated it with *WHAT*, David? Roundup is only for killing plants
and corralling cattle.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"fumier" wrote in message
Well developed holly, pride and joy near front door has developed a
dirty/sooty mold since the summer. Back of leaves has white
"seedy"/pupae c.2mm, now dead. Have treated with usual glyphosates.

What on earth do you mean by "treated with usual glyphosates"? Glyphosate
is a herbicide which will kill the plant

Indeed. Though I have known holly seedlings in the orchard survive
glyphosate application I would not risk it on a specimen plant! Their
waxy coat appears to resist the wetting agent rather well.

The black stuff he describes is probably an opportunistic sooty mould
growing on honeydew from some aphid or scale infestation.

Never had any berries. All advice gratefully received.

Has it ever flowered? Could be a male. They don't.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 06-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

Never had any berries. All advice gratefully received.

Has it ever flowered? Could be a male. They don't.

They do. Well, they do flower, but not, being male, berry.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:13 AM
fumier

Ooops, too much Agent Orange on Sunday nights! I think I used B&Q's
aphid killer. Any serious suggestions, please? "Soot" seems to be
spreading

TIA - David
--
Don't reply to this virtual address
I don't live here!!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from fumier contains these words:

Ooops, too much Agent Orange on Sunday nights! I think I used B&Q's
aphid killer. Any serious suggestions, please? "Soot" seems to be
spreading

Try Bordeaux mixture.

--
Tony http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Lobby/bother/harrangue your MP about the rising tide of SPAM

Old 06-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Martin Brown

In message , fumier
writes
Ooops, too much Agent Orange on Sunday nights! I think I used B&Q's
aphid killer. Any serious suggestions, please? "Soot" seems to be
spreading

You can clean the soot off and the honeydew it is growing on with any
simple wetting agent and water. The problem is some waxy plants like
holly and bay that get sooty moulds do not like losing their waxy
coating and will shed their leaves if cleaned too vigorously.

The sooty mould is only cosmetic on the surface it doesn't harm the
plant.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

sooty mold K Barrett Orchids 4 20-11-2007 03:58 PM
Sooty deposits on Ilex "Silver Milkboy" Richard Burge United Kingdom 11 20-02-2007 06:21 PM
Black sooty deposit on Bottlebrush Tonto_Goldstein Australia 6 12-04-2006 04:57 AM
hebe with an ugly black sooty coating spakker United Kingdom 2 07-05-2005 09:18 AM
Sooty Mould killed Skimmia? Gill Hall United Kingdom 3 08-05-2004 11:08 PM