Old 08-01-2004, 09:43 PM
JP

Default Is this true? If so, it gives me an idea

Steve Harris wrote:
On http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...opaeolum+majus I
read

"Research indicates that aphids flying over plants with orange or yellow
flowers do not stop, nor do they prey on plants growing next to or above
the flowers[201]. "

[201] Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd.
1993 ISBN 0-304-34324-2

So could one protect crops from aphids by putting out plastic flowers?
(which might be more convenient)

I'm betting that's not strictly true!
Could give it a go though.

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Andy Hunt

I've just bought a tube of little beasties from this company:-

http://www.defenders.co.uk

To get rid of some spider mites I have on some indoor plants. I don't know
if it will work, but they say they have predators for aphids too - parasitic
wasps and the like which they will send you in various quantities.

I'll let you know if it works on spider mites . . .

Andrew

"JP" wrote in message
Steve Harris wrote:
On http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...opaeolum+majus I
read

"Research indicates that aphids flying over plants with orange or yellow
flowers do not stop, nor do they prey on plants growing next to or above
the flowers[201]. "

[201] Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd.
1993 ISBN 0-304-34324-2

So could one protect crops from aphids by putting out plastic flowers?
(which might be more convenient)

I'm betting that's not strictly true!
Could give it a go though.

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....userid=murder1
man&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Old 08-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

In article ,
(Janet Baraclough ..) wrote:

I've seen aphids on yellow and orange roses

Obviously the roses were not organic ;-)

Obviously, you know less than an aphid ;~}

Janet

Old 08-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Steve
Harris writes

Then it's also well known that ladybirds eat aphids. I had loads of both
but the ladybirds couldn't be arsed to wander over to the aphid-ridden
plants.

It's the ladybird larvae that eat the aphid. And, yes, I've seen them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: