Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Steve Harris

Default Is this true? If so, it gives me an idea

In article m,
(Martin Bates) wrote:

For loads more information on companion plants just search on the web.

It illustrates the problem very nicely!

Take a look at
http://www.gardensablaze.com/Compani...anionYield.htm which has
Beet in both the "COMPATIBLE" and "INCOMPATIBLE" columns for Beans,
Pole!

Less extremely, I went looking for good companions for Tomatoes and
found these snippets:

Tomato plant with Parsley, asparagus, marigold, nasturtium, carrots,
limas Don't plant with corn, dill
Tomato: Carrots, onions and parsley are good companion plants. Keep the
cabbage and cauliflower away from them.
Marigolds interplanted with tomatoes help the tomatoes grow and produce
better
Basil -use with tomatoes
Borage -use around tomatoes
Tomato: Chives, onion, parsley, asparagus, marigold, nasturtium, carrot,
limas.
Tomatoes should be planted near Marigolds, Asparagus, Borage and
Horehound, but never planted close to Potatoes or Tobacco.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Andy Hunt
writes
I've just bought a tube of little beasties from this company:-

http://www.defenders.co.uk

To get rid of some spider mites I have on some indoor plants. I don't know
if it will work, but they say they have predators for aphids too - parasitic
wasps and the like which they will send you in various quantities.

I'll let you know if it works on spider mites . . .

Andrew

They didn't on mine - there was no visible decline in the number of
spider mites and |I treated the plants twice!
The only thing that did work (the plants were actually rooted cuttings
of shrubs and perennials|) was to defoliate the worst affected plants
and cut them back, then feed them if they had sufficient root balls.
This seemed to get rid of the spider mite or at least cut it down,
because the new growth was clearly unspider mited and seemed to stay
that way.
Since then I've taken everything out of the greenhouse and hosed it,
Jeyes fluided it, smoked it and scrubbed it and I'm hoping that will
kill the little beggars.
I also had spider mite with a vengeance on some very strong growing
Ipomea plants up a southern facing wall. There were tons of lowers on
all the plants but the leaves looked awful.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 11-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Andy Hunt
writes
I've just bought a tube of little beasties from this company:-

http://www.defenders.co.uk

To get rid of some spider mites I have on some indoor plants. I don't know
if it will work, but they say they have predators for aphids too - parasitic
wasps and the like which they will send you in various quantities.

I'll let you know if it works on spider mites . . .

Andrew

They didn't on mine - there was no visible decline in the number of
spider mites and |I treated the plants twice!

It worked on mine. They take a while to work, and you keep looking at
plants and seeing a lot of spider mites and no predators. But after a
couple of months, new leaves are appearing which are looking a whole lot
more healthy. I'm pleased with it.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: