Old 15-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Lazarus Cooke

Default Old bulbs in supermarkets

there's what looks like a good offer in my local safeway - 40 daffodils
for 49p., redced from £3.

The bulbs have just begun to sprout. Is there any point in buying them
and planting them now? Or are they on the way out anyway?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 15-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes
there's what looks like a good offer in my local safeway - 40 daffodils
for 49p., redced from £3.

The bulbs have just begun to sprout. Is there any point in buying them
and planting them now? Or are they on the way out anyway?

You may not get many flowers next spring but they should recover and
flower the year after.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 15-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:15:06 +0000, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

there's what looks like a good offer in my local safeway - 40 daffodils
for 49p., redced from £3.

The bulbs have just begun to sprout. Is there any point in buying them
and planting them now? Or are they on the way out anyway?

Go for it. The ones to avoid are those that have begun to rot and/or
shrink. These sprouting fellows *want* a new home.

Old 15-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Lazarus Cooke contains these words:

there's what looks like a good offer in my local safeway - 40 daffodils
for 49p., redced from £3.

The bulbs have just begun to sprout. Is there any point in buying them
and planting them now? Or are they on the way out anyway?

They will arise even as Lazarus arose, yea, even unto the sky shall they
reach.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 15-01-2004, 10:34 PM
David Hill

I'd get a couple of quids worth.at around a penny a bulb what have you to
loose, and you will probably find them in flower in about 6 weeks, them next
year just leaf and after that normal bulbs.
Will help if you feed them with a tomato feed as soon as they flower.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
I'd get a couple of quids worth.at around a penny a bulb what have you to
loose, and you will probably find them in flower in about 6 weeks, them next
year just leaf and after that normal bulbs.

I know that's logical, since the flowers were formed during last
season's growth, but by the same token, if you grow them well this year,
then they should flower well in 2005.

My experience in a similar situation was that it was the first year that
didn't flower so well (ie some flowered in 6 weeks and others didn't),
but the next season was fine.

Will help if you feed them with a tomato feed as soon as they flower.

Or as soon as they've been in long enough to get some decent roots
going.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Lazarus Cooke

thanks for all your help. I've gone through two packets. (one about
three weeks ago seems to be growing already.) I'll rush back to
Safeway's & see if there are any left!

Lazarus (yes, like the daffs)

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 16-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Lazarus Cooke

thanks for all your help. I've gone through two packets. (one about
three weeks ago seems to be growing already.) I'll rush back to
Safeway's & see if there are any left!

Lazarus (yes, like the daffs)

--
Remover the rock from the email address

vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets len gardener Australia 18 24-03-2004 08:26 AM
vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets len gardener Australia 0 08-03-2004 07:38 PM
vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets len gardener Australia 0 08-03-2004 07:36 PM
Old bulbs in supermarkets Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 2 15-01-2004 05:42 PM
UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM-free policy for 2003 Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:29 PM