Old 18-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Steve Harris

Default Windbreak/Hedge

I have a wind funnel at the side of my house and I want to do something
about it. Currently I have a 6' wooden palisade fence across the wide
entrance to the funnel fronted by some young Leylandii.

I caught part of GQT today where they were talking about Jerusalem
Artichoke as a very quick and effective hedge that wouldn't get too
tall. Checking up, JA isn't suitable for my case because I want it still
to be there during winter.

But it got me thinking. Surely there is a fast-growing, self-limiting,
low-maintenance, good-looking, all-seasons, six-foot hedge plant out
there?

Old 18-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Bevan Price

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have a wind funnel at the side of my house and I want to do something
about it. Currently I have a 6' wooden palisade fence across the wide
entrance to the funnel fronted by some young Leylandii.

I caught part of GQT today where they were talking about Jerusalem
Artichoke as a very quick and effective hedge that wouldn't get too
tall. Checking up, JA isn't suitable for my case because I want it still
to be there during winter.

But it got me thinking. Surely there is a fast-growing, self-limiting,
low-maintenance, good-looking, all-seasons, six-foot hedge plant out
there?

You missed the part where they said that any shrub or tree that grew very
quickly rarely stopped at six feet.
Shrubs with low maximum heights usually grow slowly.

Bevan

Old 18-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Philip

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have a wind funnel at the side of my house and I want to do something
about it. Currently I have a 6' wooden palisade fence across the wide
entrance to the funnel fronted by some young Leylandii.

I caught part of GQT today where they were talking about Jerusalem
Artichoke as a very quick and effective hedge that wouldn't get too
tall. Checking up, JA isn't suitable for my case because I want it still
to be there during winter.

But it got me thinking. Surely there is a fast-growing, self-limiting,
low-maintenance, good-looking, all-seasons, six-foot hedge plant out
there?

Ligustrum maybe the vulgare 'Aureum' or the ovalifolium 'Aureum' for a bit
more colour and interest.
Pyracantha with some support to get it 6 feet high, loads on interest with
flowers and berries.

Trellis covered with Lonicera, maybe the nitida 'Fertilis' but this is more
of a call on your time as it will require more maintenance than the other
two.
If you had more time I would suggest Taxus (Yew) for me it just looks the
part.

Of course a lot depends on what else is around.you dont want this new hedge
to stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 18-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Arklay

Just what I was about to say, worked in a garden centre for 6 years and
thats exactly all people ever wanted in a hedge, so frustrating.

Old 19-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Bevan Price) wrote:

You missed the part where they said that any shrub or tree that grew
very quickly rarely stopped at six feet.

Oh, I did hear that bit. They also mentioned Jerusalem Artichoke. Sure,
it's not a tree or shrub but it's plant. Hence my reference to "hedge
plant"

Old 19-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Bevan Price) wrote:

You missed the part where they said that any shrub or tree that grew
very quickly rarely stopped at six feet.

Oh, I did hear that bit. They also mentioned Jerusalem Artichoke. Sure,
it's not a tree or shrub but it's plant. Hence my reference to "hedge
plant"

Well, likewise - the reason jerusalem artichoke shoots like a rocket up
to 6ft is that it needs to be up there and flowering before dying down
in the winter - so any other plants doing the same are unlikely to be
around for the winter.

But JS might not be such a bad idea - it has pretty tough frost proof
stems, so although you wouldn't have the leaves over winter, you could
still have a dense thicket of 'canes'.

Which leads me to another solution - bamboo - a non-creeping variety.
That'd give you a dense thicket of canes , and leaves over the winter
(well, mine has, anyway)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Laurie Moseley

We tried photinia as a windbreak. It seems to have done a pretty good job in
the 2 years that it has been in. Has anyone else tried it? If, with what luck?

Laurie

__________________________________

Old 19-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have a wind funnel at the side of my house and I want to do something
about it. Currently I have a 6' wooden palisade fence across the wide
entrance to the funnel fronted by some young Leylandii.

I caught part of GQT today where they were talking about Jerusalem
Artichoke as a very quick and effective hedge that wouldn't get too
tall. Checking up, JA isn't suitable for my case because I want it still
to be there during winter.

But it got me thinking. Surely there is a fast-growing, self-limiting,
low-maintenance, good-looking, all-seasons, six-foot hedge plant out
there?

I would opt for Pyracantha. Fast and easy to keep under cotrol. You get the
bonus of berries for the birds in the winter.

Franz

If you were getting rid of an evergreen windbreak... Laura Corin United Kingdom 20 28-08-2011 08:41 AM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green' Phil Gardening 6 19-03-2003 03:20 PM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM