Old 19-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Mike Crossland

Default Hamamelis problem!

I have two small seed grown Wych-Hazels (Hamamelis virginiana) growing in
large pots in a rich loam compost. It was pointed out to me last year that
the leaves on both plants were too yellow, and that the leaves should in
fact have been a much darker green. It seems that Hamamelis grow best in an
ericaceous compost, that way they will have the proper darker shade of green
leaves. I have searched on the internet for verification of this, without
success.
Before I re-pot, any help through the group please, from hamamelis growers
would be most welcome.
Thank you,

Mike Crossland
---
My outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old 19-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Crossland" wrote in message
I have two small seed grown Wych-Hazels (Hamamelis virginiana) growing in
large pots in a rich loam compost. It was pointed out to me last year that
the leaves on both plants were too yellow, and that the leaves should in
fact have been a much darker green. It seems that Hamamelis grow best in

an
ericaceous compost, that way they will have the proper darker shade of

green
leaves. I have searched on the internet for verification of this, without
success.
Before I re-pot, any help through the group please, from hamamelis growers
would be most welcome.
Thank you,

According to the RHS Encyclopedia, all Hamamelis like sun or semi-shade
and fertile,well-drained peaty, acid soil, although it tolerates good deep
soil over chalk.

Franz

Old 20-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Spider

Hi Mike,
I have two Hamamelis, both growing in heavy london clay. There are pockets
of acid and pockets of more alkaline soil in my garden, the latter because
this land has twice been a building site. Because I am still finding mortar
in the soil, I give my Hamamelis an acid feed from time to time, just to
make sure it can take up required minerals from the soil.

When originally planting, I mixed my own compost rather than buy a
peat-based ericaceous compost. I use about two-thirds composted bark with
one-third John Innes No.2 soil-based compost, then added a granular acid
feed before mixing and working the final recipe into the planting hole. My
Hamamelis seem to thrive in this: good summer leaf colour followed by
brilliant autumn leaf colour.

Because of last summers' drought, is it possible that your plants sat in dry
soil for any period - a holiday, for example? Plants can only take up
soluble food, so starvation would be a possibility if water was wanting.
Conversely, if they were sat in water because you tried to avoid dry roots,
the plants would also suffer: they appreciate good drainage as well as
moisture.

Finally, before you repot using ericaceous compost, why not try adding an
acid feed instead? Hamamelis seem to be fairly tolerant and may cope very
well with this little improvement. A feed would certainly be less traumatic
than repotting while your plants are still weak.

Another thought now occurs to me: you say your plants are small and that
they are in large pots. Is it possible that the pots are too large? I know
plants don't like being potted up in too large a pot (can't recall why
though! Anyone else know?), so could this be the problem?

Spider

Old 20-01-2004, 11:08 PM
kenty ;-\)

The only reason i can think of why not to have to large a pot is because the
plant cant take up all the moisture from the compost causing the roots to
rot.Some plants like to be restricted especially those from hotter climates.

--
Thanks Keith

Old 21-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Spider

Hi Kenty,
Thanks for your response. You may very well be right - it sounds plausible
.... I'm just going to have to look in a book. If I get anywhere, I'll start
a new thread rather than choke this one.
Regards,
Spider

Hamamelis mollis K United Kingdom 3 07-10-2008 01:43 AM
Hamamelis Molis Fylde United Kingdom 3 20-08-2008 09:53 PM
A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
hamamelis - not flowering [email protected] United Kingdom 0 28-01-2006 02:36 PM
hamamelis arnold promise suckering pete_J-T United Kingdom 0 06-02-2005 09:42 PM