Old 21-01-2004, 02:54 PM
martin

Default squirrels and bulbs

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:15:28 +0000, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

Give me the nod when you want a recipe for squirrel pie.....

I thought about that. Have you tried it? What are they like?

Nutty!
--
Martin
Old 21-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Alan Holmes

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Get a trap from Mole Valley Farmers and dispose of the vermin.

Alan

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Old 21-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Spider

Hi Lazarus,
I have tried using yellow/green sulphur powder when planting bulbs. It only
has a short term effect, but works well for a while and is better than
nothing. You could also try the peppery additive which is being sold by
bird food suppliers. Birds don't mind it at all, but squirrels can't stand
it. (It's intended use is to stop squirrels stealing bird food).
Another great deterrent is a resident cat. I've lost far fewer bulbs since
I've had the killer 'Cougar'. (No, he doesn't kill squirrels - he hasn't
even caught one yet, but he's persistent).
The converse - and optimistic! - side to this coin is that your squirrel may
make you a present of a choice bulb stolen from a neighbour's garden.
{:-)))))))! (Wicked chuckle).
Spider

Old 21-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Spider
wrote:

Hi Lazarus,
I have tried using yellow/green sulphur powder when planting bulbs. It only
has a short term effect, but works well for a while and is better than
nothing. You could also try the peppery additive which is being sold by
bird food suppliers. Birds don't mind it at all, but squirrels can't stand
it. (It's intended use is to stop squirrels stealing bird food).
Another great deterrent is a resident cat. I've lost far fewer bulbs since
I've had the killer 'Cougar'. (No, he doesn't kill squirrels - he hasn't
even caught one yet, but he's persistent).
The converse - and optimistic! - side to this coin is that your squirrel may
make you a present of a choice bulb stolen from a neighbour's garden.
{:-)))))))! (Wicked chuckle).

Thanks for this. I'll try it.

My garden is full of cats (none mine), partly because of the healthy
colony of sparrows that live here. Some people I had supper with on
Sunday were wondering why I stillhave them ( there are probably at
least twenty based in my small Brixton garden.) I may seek urg advice
in identifying the two plants that they seem to like particularly. But
my visiting cats are, I think, scared of the squirrels.

Sadly, on one side if my garden, the Spanish squatters (who were quite
nice) have been evicted. I don't think that planted many bulbs. On the
other, since they were raided the last time for the police - whether
because of drugs, or prostitution, or, what I believe to be the case,
the guy who was shot dead at the bus stop, the only benefit we've had
is the bits of bicycle that fall off their shed and the families of
foxes that live underneath it.

they're quite nice too, though.

Remover the rock from the email address
Old 22-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Lazarus Cooke contains these words:

Give me the nod when you want a recipe for squirrel pie.....

I thought about that. Have you tried it? What are they like?

A bit like rabbit, but finer.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Martin Sykes
wrote:

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Lazarus

Put out peanuts. I doubt they'll bother digging for bulbs if there is easier
food around.

It's just occurred to me. If I put out peanuts for the squirrels how do
I stop the birds getting at them?

I supppose I'd better put out grass seed for them.

Remover the rock from the email address