Old 20-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Steve Harris

Default Sorrel

Some sources say this grows in any reasonable soil while another says it
needs acid soil and that lime can be used against escapees.

It certainly failed to germinate last year in my slightly alkaline soil.

What do urglers find?

Thanks!

Old 20-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Steve Harris wrote:
Some sources say this grows in any reasonable soil while another says it
needs acid soil and that lime can be used against escapees.

It certainly failed to germinate last year in my slightly alkaline soil.

What do urglers find?

That theory is related to the Doctrine of Signatures, and should be
ignored by anyone who regards science as even slightly more reliable
than witchcraft.

It grows perfectly well in my slightly alkaline soil, and is found
wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles. It is a fairly
shy germinator, and I don't get more than half a dozen new seedlings
a year from perhaps a dozen shoots that set seed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,

It is found
wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles.

What's a vice-county?

Mary

Old 21-01-2004, 02:14 PM
martin

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:56:48 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,

It is found
wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles.

What's a vice-county?

don't ask :-)
--
Martin

Old 21-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| It is found
| wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles.
|
| What's a vice-county?

Essex :-)

Dunno, except that it is probably an invention designed for
ecological surveying, slightly smaller and more uniform in size
than a county.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 21-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 21-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,

It is found
wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles.

What's a vice-county?

Mary

From

http://www.brc.ac.uk/brcMaps.shtm

Biological Records Centre

What is a vice-county?

The system of vice counties was decided upon by H.C. Watson in 1852,
who divided the country into units of roughly equal area for botanical
recording purposes. His system was later extended to Ireland by
Praeger.

Why use vice-counties?

Vice counties have been widely adopted by naturalists in preference to
the ever-changing administrative counties. The vice county boundaries
will not move!

It is very useful to us at BRC to have a note of the vice-county as
well as the grid reference with each record. With both, we are able,
using the computer, to check that grid references are not wildly
inaccurate, and to sort records into counties, which is useful when
providing information to county recorders, local records centres and
museums. So - whenever possible - please enter the vice-county, as well
as the grid reference, on your records.

Remover the rock from the email address

Old 21-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Spider

Hello Steve,
I believe that, like Dock, it is a noted coloniser of fertile ground,
particularly clay. Is it possible that your alkaline soil is on the lean
side?
Spider

Old 21-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| It is found
| wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles.
|
| What's a vice-county?

Essex :-)

Careful ... you never know who's lurking hereabouts ...

Dunno, except that it is probably an invention designed for
ecological surveying, slightly smaller and more uniform in size
than a county.

Where did you get the information then - about sorrel in 112 ... /

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| It is found
| wild in all 112 vice-counties of the British Isles.
|
| What's a vice-county?

Essex :-)

Careful ... you never know who's lurking hereabouts ...

Dunno, except that it is probably an invention designed for
ecological surveying, slightly smaller and more uniform in size
than a county.

Where did you get the information then - about sorrel in 112 ... /

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Wood sorrel (sour grass) Oxalis Cheryl Isaak Gardening 4 13-06-2005 07:45 PM
Savory? Sorrel? Doll is Mine Edible Gardening 6 18-03-2005 10:54 PM
Yellow Sorrel ? Robert United Kingdom 3 30-08-2004 02:26 PM
sorrel seedlings collapsing Deborah P. United Kingdom 7 31-05-2004 06:19 PM
Need information on herbicide for Oxalis (yellow creeping wood sorrel) and potatoes sahara sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:24 PM