Old 22-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Mel

Default Strawberries

I bought some strawberry plants in early November and planted them up in a
big pot. I put the pot into an unheated greenhouse because I thought they'd
need the protection as I had planted them quite late. At Christmas I bought
a little heater for the greenhouse to keep it frost-free.

Should I keep the strawberries in the greenhouse for a few more months or
should I put them outside now? I wasn't particularly planning on forcing
them, but having just done a bit of reading on the subject it appears that
that's what I might be doing!

Advice, please?

Thanks.

Old 22-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Mel
writes
I bought some strawberry plants in early November and planted them up in a
big pot. I put the pot into an unheated greenhouse because I thought they'd
need the protection as I had planted them quite late. At Christmas I bought
a little heater for the greenhouse to keep it frost-free.

Should I keep the strawberries in the greenhouse for a few more months or
should I put them outside now? I wasn't particularly planning on forcing
them, but having just done a bit of reading on the subject it appears that
that's what I might be doing!

What you have done is more or less the process of forcing your
strawberries in order to have an early crop. The method for normal
cropping should have been to plant them outside in late autumn on a
prepared bed or on ridges to over-winter. Strawberries are hardy plants,
normally needing no protection, though they respond well to forcing if
early crops are required - after which they are discarded.

You may be able to redress the situation by hardening your plants off if
they have not begun new growth. You could put them in an unheated indoor
place first, then choose a favourable time to put them outside. If they
have already begun to show new growth, or if you are unable to harden
them off and plant them out, keep them growing on and you should have
fresh strawberries sometime between Easter and Whitsun.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Victoria Clare

Alan Gould wrote in
:

You may be able to redress the situation by hardening your plants off if
they have not begun new growth. You could put them in an unheated indoor
place first, then choose a favourable time to put them outside.

Does depend where you are, of course. In my garden the alpine strawbs
(outside all winter) are still flowering, and the other strawbs don't
really seem to have stopped growing at all.

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 24-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-01-2004, 04:33 PM
martin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:24:50 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

too late it's arriving next week.
--
Martin

Old 24-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

too late it's arriving next week.

So it is forecast We are meant to have snow in Scotland on tuesday. I
hope we do 'cos I have a bet on with our volunteer at work that we will have
snow. I have a whole 10p riding on it

Old 24-01-2004, 10:24 PM
martin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:30:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

too late it's arriving next week.

So it is forecast We are meant to have snow in Scotland on tuesday. I
hope we do 'cos I have a bet on with our volunteer at work that we will have
snow. I have a whole 10p riding on it

Bang goes your dinner money if you lose.

Tuesday/Wednesday is the day the snow is forecast for these parts. In
Germany it's forecast for tomorrow. It was -15DegC in Copenhagen on
Thursday.
--
Martin
Old 24-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:30:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

too late it's arriving next week.

So it is forecast We are meant to have snow in Scotland on tuesday. I
hope we do 'cos I have a bet on with our volunteer at work that we will

have
snow. I have a whole 10p riding on it

Bang goes your dinner money if you lose.

Tuesday/Wednesday is the day the snow is forecast for these parts. In
Germany it's forecast for tomorrow. It was -15DegC in Copenhagen on
Thursday.

Keep your fingers crossed for me eh? )

Old 24-01-2004, 10:26 PM
martin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:57:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:30:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This has been a very mild winter so far!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

too late it's arriving next week.

So it is forecast We are meant to have snow in Scotland on tuesday. I
hope we do 'cos I have a bet on with our volunteer at work that we will

have
snow. I have a whole 10p riding on it

Bang goes your dinner money if you lose.

Tuesday/Wednesday is the day the snow is forecast for these parts. In
Germany it's forecast for tomorrow. It was -15DegC in Copenhagen on
Thursday.

Keep your fingers crossed for me eh? )

pack your snow shoes.
--
Martin

Old 25-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

wrote:

So it is forecast We are meant to have snow in Scotland on tuesday.
I hope we do 'cos I have a bet on with our volunteer at work that we
will have snow. I have a whole 10p riding on it

Bang goes your dinner money if you lose.

Tuesday/Wednesday is the day the snow is forecast for these parts. In
Germany it's forecast for tomorrow. It was -15DegC in Copenhagen on
Thursday.

Keep your fingers crossed for me eh? )

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my new Phyllostachys Nigra, rather!
(Well, it just cost me 54 quid!)

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 25-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Ophelia

Anne Jackson wrote:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my new Phyllostachys Nigra, rather!
(Well, it just cost me 54 quid!)

Phew.... big money!

O keeping everything crossed for you)

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM