Old 13-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Peggy

Default Mountain Gardening

Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peg, who will soon be cultivating a tumbleweed

Old 13-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Nick Wagg

Peggy wrote:

Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peggy,

This is a UK group. Our highest point is Ben Nevis which is 4409 feet
above sea level. Nothing much grows above 3000 ft here.
--
Nick Wagg
Old 13-02-2004, 01:10 PM
martin

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:13:47 +0000, Nick Wagg
wrote:

Peggy wrote:

Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peggy,

This is a UK group. Our highest point is Ben Nevis which is 4409 feet
above sea level. Nothing much grows above 3000 ft here.

AFAIR from driving up there in thick fog Sequoia National Park is
above 6000'.
Redwoods grow well!
http://www.americansouthwest.net/cal...onal_park.html

"Big trees are the prime attraction of Sequoia National Park - many
groves of the remarkable giant sequoia are found scattered along the
moist, west-facing slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains, between
elevations of 5,000 and 7,000 feet. The scale and grandeur of these
reddish giants is quite stunning, and there are many easy foot trails
that wind through the woody groves leading to quiet undisturbed
places, ideal to contemplate the ambience of the forest."

and for Lake Tahoe vegetation look at
http://eh2o.saic.com/tiimsWebsite/Co...n/default.html
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 13-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Neil

"Peggy" wrote in message
Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Peg, who will soon be cultivating a tumbleweed

Look at the local native plants. Many of these will have relatives and
derivatives at the local nurseries (check that the hardiness is not bred
out). Alternatively, in the Himalayas bamboos grow well at those altitudes,
may small flowers specialize in altitude in the Alps in Europe and there are
many smaller conifers as well as broadleaves that will flourish at altitude.
The secret is to look at the niche (ecological conditions) locally and
compare these to other locales around the world.
Neil Faulkner
www.conceptgardens.com

Old 15-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Neil wrote:

"Peggy" wrote in message
Hi everybody-
I'm moving from the middle of the corn belt and leaving my beloved garden
for the 6000 ft alt. rocky side of a mountain near Lake Tahoe. Shall I
start crying now, or can anyone give me any tips on gardening here. What
I've found so far indicates that I might as well forget my English cottage
garden and my heirloom tomatoes...

Your heirloom tomatoes will probably do better. There are longer and
hotter summers there, compared with our extended period of undecided
season.

Look at the local native plants. Many of these will have relatives and
derivatives at the local nurseries (check that the hardiness is not bred
out). Alternatively, in the Himalayas bamboos grow well at those altitudes,
may small flowers specialize in altitude in the Alps in Europe and there are
many smaller conifers as well as broadleaves that will flourish at altitude.
The secret is to look at the niche (ecological conditions) locally and
compare these to other locales around the world.

Yes. In that location, there will be a define (cold) winter and a
warm summer (hot by UK standards). Don't do as many of the locals
seem to do, which is to plant totally inappropriate plants and rely
on summer watering to keep them alive. And I recommend getting a copy
of the Sunset New Western Gardening book, which is a very decent
reference to conditions and plants in the area. Also, the better
and more general British gardening books are applicable, but you
will have to translate.

Most interestingly, some tender UK plants may well grow there, because
there are a fair number that don't mind cold winters but either need
a hot summer or hate our continual waterlogging at just above freezing
point. So, when you see the Sunset and UK books differ, don't think
that it is necessarily an error.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Neil wrote:

"Peggy" wrote in message
[...]

Texas Mountain Laurel: Sophora secundiflora Wendy North Carolina 1 03-04-2003 05:44 PM
BOYCOTT Fieldale Farms (Springer Mountain Farms & Redding) They're ANTI-ORGANIC! (And call James Curts sci.agriculture 0 02-03-2003 08:15 PM
BOYCOTT Fieldale Farms (Springer Mountain Farms & Redding) They're ANTI-ORGANIC! (And call your OrganicOrganizer sci.agriculture 0 28-02-2003 05:39 PM
Mountain Laurel problem L & S Texas 0 12-02-2003 04:38 PM
Good tree for smallish garden - scots pine/mountain ash/aspen Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 01-11-2002 03:18 PM