Old 13-02-2004, 02:51 PM
John Horne

Default Fruit trees

I have inherited a gang of fairly old apple trees, and I have also planted some
plum, cherry, and pear trees. The meagre fruit produced over the last two
seasons have had lots of black spots on them, mainly I have to say in the old
trees. I feel I should spray them with something, or prune them or whatever.

So should I prune and if so when? Should I spray with something and if so when
and what with?

John (a total novice, who is keen to learn..!!)
Old 17-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Spider

Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit). Sorry, don't know about
pears. Never prune your plum or cherry in winter (due to risk of Silver
Leaf fungal attack). Prune these in summer during good, dry weather.
The black spots on your apples are probably Apple Scab. It's a weakening
fungal disease which needs to be treated. Ask at your local garden centre
for an appropriate fungal spray or its organic equivalent. You will need to
clean up the whole tree, otherwise any fungal spores you miss will re-infect
the tree.
It also sounds as if you need to feed these old trees, and ensure they get
enough water during the growing season. Are they surrounded by turf or
weeds, which will compete for nutrients and water? If they are, it would
certainly help to clear a wide area around them. When they start producing
flower buds, gently fork in some fertiliser, water well and give each tree a
thick mulch to hold that moisture in.

Since you're interested in fruit growing, I think a good book on the subject
would help.
Spider

Old 17-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Spider
writes
Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit).

Erm ... It's February 17th. What is the difference between February 17th
and winter?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 18-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Nick Wagg

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit).

Erm ... It's February 17th. What is the difference between February 17th
and winter?

Well, the birds, frogs and plants seem to think it's already Spring.
--
Nick Wagg
Old 18-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Neil Jones

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you

will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit).

Erm ... It's February 17th. What is the difference between February

17th
and winter?

Well, the birds, frogs and plants seem to think it's already Spring.
--

They may be in for a shock this weekend then.

Old 18-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Nick Wagg

Neil Jones wrote:

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you

will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit).

Erm ... It's February 17th. What is the difference between February
17th and winter?

Well, the birds, frogs and plants seem to think it's already Spring.
--

They may be in for a shock this weekend then.

The forecast is for the sort of weather which would not be unusual
for April. Anyway, if the fruit trees already "think" that it's Spring,
they'll have started budding, so it is still too late to prune.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 18-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Neil Jones

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
Neil Jones wrote:

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
Kay Easton wrote:

[...]

I was thinking more of the birds and frogs. I don't remember seeing snow
in April recently, so I'd consider it unusual.

Neil

Old 18-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Neil Jones
writes

I was thinking more of the birds and frogs. I don't remember seeing snow
in April recently, so I'd consider it unusual.

I can remember it at least 3 times over the last 20 years - not
particularly unusual.

There's still snow lying over the north pennines.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Wagg
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
Hi John,
Apple trees are usually pruned in winter. If you prune now, you will be
pruning out flowering buds (this year's fruit).

Erm ... It's February 17th. What is the difference between February 17th
and winter?

Well, the birds, frogs and plants seem to think it's already Spring.

Going back to the original post - apple trees aren't yet shooting (at
least in Yorkshire) and I certainly would be quite happy about pruning
now. It is easy to see the difference between last year's growth and
older growth with fruiting spurs. Anything you prune will be removing
potential future fruiting spurs, but one fruiting spurs develop, they
continue to flower and fruit year after year, so you are not decreasing
the amount of fruit by removing existing or potential new spurs.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Neil Jones

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nick Wagg
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

[...]

Also, restricted forms are pruned in summer, aren't they? And judging by
the amount of thinning I need to do on my old apple tree, losing even
half of this year's flowers wouldn't harm the crop.

Neil