Old 16-02-2004, 05:32 PM
mlv

Default Hedge Problem

Last weekend I cut down a beech hedge that had got seriously out of control.
I now need to re-plant the hedge.

A couple of years ago, I also severely cut back a conifer hedge and this
resulted in the bare trunks being exposed. Most of the conifer trees have
not recovered, but there is one exception. This particular conifer has
regrown directly from the trunk and right down to ground level. The naked
trunk has bushed out with new, dense growth and looks really good.

Does anyone know what variety of conifer this might be that will foliate
directly from the trunk?

Can anyone suggest some other species of hedge I might consider planting (on
sandy, well drained soil). I want something that won't grow too high and
that is easy to manage. I would prefer an evergreen hedge, but am no real
fan of leylandii.

A mixed species hedge would be rather nice, but what to plant?

TIA
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' before firing off your reply-

Old 16-02-2004, 07:04 PM
David Hill

You could plant a mix of Privet and Lonicera Natidia both are evergreen, the
privet will give extra support for the lonicera, and if you have to you can
cut them both back to ground level and they will re grow.
I have a hedge if this mix which is around 10 ft high and takes all the
gales without flinching.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , mlv
writes
[...]

Probably yew? Why would you cut down a wonderful hedge of beech? Surely
it would be better to cut it back rather than get rid altogether. They
make such wonderful hedges.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Old 16-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Sacha

mlv16/2/04 5:13
Last weekend I cut down a beech hedge that had got seriously out of control.
I now need to re-plant the hedge.

Why? Have you killed it, do you think? Most beech hedges will retain their
dead leaves up to about 9' in height, thus giving privacy and cover to wild
birds. This is a *very* desirable hedge.

A couple of years ago, I also severely cut back a conifer hedge and this
resulted in the bare trunks being exposed. Most of the conifer trees have
not recovered, but there is one exception. This particular conifer has
regrown directly from the trunk and right down to ground level. The naked
trunk has bushed out with new, dense growth and looks really good.

Does anyone know what variety of conifer this might be that will foliate
directly from the trunk?

Yews are the only ones I can think of offhand that will do this.

Can anyone suggest some other species of hedge I might consider planting (on
sandy, well drained soil). I want something that won't grow too high and
that is easy to manage. I would prefer an evergreen hedge, but am no real
fan of leylandii.

A mixed species hedge would be rather nice, but what to plant?

TIA

Where you're living is quite important. South west England and sea side?
Escallonia, Fuchcsia, Eleagnus, Olearia and Griselinia, for example. Maybe
the people that planted your beech hedge did so because it was all that
would be happy there? You could plant more yew trees - they don't like
sitting in water so your good drainage would be ideal. Of course, you
mustn't let a young hedge dry out, either.
What you do in your own garden is your own business, of course but it does
sound as if you've gone in for a sort of 'slash and burn' policy without
taking advice first - not always a good move, IMO and IME. Can you get
someone local - a neighbour, perhaps, member of a gardening club - to advise
you on what is good hedging in your area?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 16-02-2004, 11:43 PM
nambucca

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
mlv16/2/04 5:13
[...]

Beech Hedges are indeed quite happy in dry sandy soil and a joy to behold
Sure as heck nicer than dreaded leylandi

Old 17-02-2004, 09:14 AM
mlv

"Chris Boulby asked:

Why would you cut down a wonderful hedge of beech?

Just following the advice given by this ng on 4 December 2001 (thread:
Pollarding Beech) :-)

Anyway, it was far from wonderful.

Surely it would be better to cut it back rather than get
rid altogether. They make such wonderful hedges.

That was my original plan, but the hedge was now trees and cutting it back
to 6ft high left me with plain trunks between 8" and 16" diameter. The
trees were far too big for the available area. Best to start again, I feel.

Old 17-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Bob

That was my original plan, but the hedge was now trees and cutting it back
to 6ft high left me with plain trunks between 8" and 16" diameter. The
trees were far too big for the available area. Best to start again, I

feel.
--

I took a dratic approach to my beech hedge at my previous home. What I had
was trunks 18" to 24" diameter which were about 6 feet high and the hedge

Bob

Old 17-02-2004, 01:52 PM
mlv

Bob wrote:

................ within three years I had a really healthy
copper beech hedge of about five feet high and 30
inches wide. If you have the time it may be worth a try.

Yes, I'm prepared to wait and see what new shoots the beech throws up,
although I might infill between the trunks with something in the short term.

I'm certainly not keen to dig out the root balls :-)