Old 17-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Question help with lonicera , hydrangea, jasminum climbers

i've recently bought some mature climbers and wondered if anybody can recommend a good book with advice on planting, feeding, training etc etc etc. all the info needed to keep the plants growing, flowering, and generally looking their best

if you're interested i've bought:

lonicera X tellmanniana & lonicera henryi
hydrangea anomola petiolaris
jasminum off. argenteovariegatum

due to having paving near both sides of the house the jasmin & hydrangea are going to have to be planted in very big pots

thanks for your help
Old 17-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default help with lonicera , hydrangea, jasminum climbers

In article m,
Tiger303 writes:
| i've recently bought some mature climbers and wondered if anybody can
| recommend a good book with advice on planting, feeding, training etc
| etc etc. all the info needed to keep the plants growing, flowering, and
| generally looking their best
|
| if you're interested i've bought:
|
| lonicera X tellmanniana & lonicera henryi
| hydrangea anomola petiolaris
| jasminum off. argenteovariegatum
|
| due to having paving near both sides of the house the jasmin &
| hydrangea are going to have to be planted in very big pots

L. x tellmanniana is lovely, but is a martyr to greenfly when
not in full sun. Don't ask me why, but they are bad enough
to stop its flowers opening. Note that it does NOT shoot from
very old wood or the base, unlike the common L. japonica.

L. henryi has rather dull flowers, but is pleasantly evergreen.

All of those should be happy with winter pruning (and when needed
to avoid being strangled), and not too fussy generally, though I
have not grown the hydrangea or that variety of jasmine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 17-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 17-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 17-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article m,
Tiger303 writes:
| i've recently bought some mature climbers and wondered if anybody can
| recommend a good book with advice on planting, feeding, training etc
| etc etc. all the info needed to keep the plants growing, flowering, and
| generally looking their best
|
| if you're interested i've bought:
|
| lonicera X tellmanniana & lonicera henryi
| hydrangea anomola petiolaris
| jasminum off. argenteovariegatum
|
| due to having paving near both sides of the house the jasmin &
| hydrangea are going to have to be planted in very big pots

L. x tellmanniana is lovely, but is a martyr to greenfly when
not in full sun. Don't ask me why, but they are bad enough
to stop its flowers opening. Note that it does NOT shoot from
very old wood or the base, unlike the common L. japonica.

L. henryi has rather dull flowers, but is pleasantly evergreen.

All of those should be happy with winter pruning (and when needed
to avoid being strangled), and not too fussy generally, though I
have not grown the hydrangea or that variety of jasmine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have hydrangea anomola petiolaris growing happily in my garden. It
was in the front garden (south facing) when I moved here, but the plant
looked very unhappy. They don't like much direct sunshine. I dug it up
(it was only a year or so old) and moved it to the back of the house
(north facing) and it has never looked back. It is self clinging, like
ivy. Has wonderful white flowers once established. Mine didn't
flower for a couple of years, but now it does regularly and I have to
make sure it doesn't get clinging onto the drainpipe - its becoming a
thug.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Old 17-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 17-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 17-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 17-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Old 20-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Maclaren
In L. x tellmanniana is lovely, but is a martyr to greenfly when
not in full sun. Don't ask me why, but they are bad enough
to stop its flowers opening. Note that it does NOT shoot from
very old wood or the base, unlike the common L. japonica.
thanks Nick, it will be in the sunniest position in the garden, but as i live in the city it will only get full sun in the afternoon as sun comes over the house for a good few hours before disappering over next set of houses.

have u had any success spraying tellanniana against greenfly or would you recommend some other solution
Old 22-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
Tiger303 wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
*In L. x tellmanniana is lovely, but is a martyr to greenfly when
not in full sun. Don't ask me why, but they are bad enough
to stop its flowers opening. Note that it does NOT shoot from
very old wood or the base, unlike the common L. japonica.

thanks Nick, it will be in the sunniest position in the garden, but as
i live in the city it will only get full sun in the afternoon as sun
comes over the house for a good few hours before disappering over next
set of houses.

have u had any success spraying tellanniana against greenfly or would
you recommend some other solution

The solution I recommend is one of soft soap, or washing up liquid
with a splash of meths (diluted)! Generally, in full sun, I don't
have to. But I find that the organic solutions are at least as
effective against greenfly as the systemic synthetic ones. If it
is grown facing north, I find that its shoots and bugs need spraying
twive a week.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.