Old 21-02-2004, 10:32 AM
klara King

Default help: best climber(s) or wall shrub(s)?

Janet Tweedy writes
Don't know which one I have, I trained it onto one stem and each time
spurs get sent out I cut them back to one leaf so they branch a lot.
Any shoots growing back against the wall get cut right off. It just
seems to keep on! Also got a white/pink one, very pretty haven't
started training that one but don't allow them to get too many shoots
from their base. Seems to flower better on one stem.

Thanks, Janet - it does sound as if it's in the pruning (and the
microclimate, I suppose). As, I gather, when you prune is as important
as how - when do you prune yours? Or just little and often?
Klara

--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin
Old 21-02-2004, 10:37 AM
klara King

Nick Maclaren writes
I have the species (C. speciosa), which is best for fruit, and three
hybrids: Crimson and Gold, Nivalis and Geisha Girl. The first suckers
like the devil but is spectacular, the second doesn't and is pretty
good and the third seems very slow growing. The Nivalis got
fireblight, which is curable by destroying infected shoots and spraying
with Bordeaux mixture. Otherwise as tough as old boots, and anything
from a pretty dark position to full sun.

I think this may be it: as is to be our "specimen tree", Crimson and
Gold or Geisha Girl sound perfect - I'll need to decide whether dark or
pale blossom would look better. Slow-growing "Tough as old boots" sounds
promising!
Thanks - this wall is beginning to take (mental) shape - now I just have
to think whether a climber on the second trellis would look very odd...
I do know and love the fruit: my family used to make a "quince cheese"
that was to die for!
Klara

--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin

Old 21-02-2004, 11:32 AM
klara King

Jaques d'Alltrades writes
And, as many of us post, the fruit is very useful for preserves and
so on. URG is full of Chaenomeles fans.

Common name?

Quince
--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin

Old 21-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
klara King wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades writes
And, as many of us post, the fruit is very useful for preserves and
so on. URG is full of Chaenomeles fans.

Common name?

Quince

Better, Japanese quince or flowering quince. The true quince is
Cydonia, and is a small tree. A nice plant, but trickier to grow
and not as decorative in flower.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-02-2004, 12:17 PM
klara King

Nick Maclaren writes
Japanese quince or flowering quince. The true quince is
Cydonia, and is a small tree. A nice plant, but trickier to grow
and not as decorative in flower.

Oh - I wonder, then, what it was I had as a child. How does the fruit of
Cydonia compare with C. speciosa?
Klara

--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin

Old 21-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
klara King wrote:
Nick Maclaren writes
Japanese quince or flowering quince. The true quince is
Cydonia, and is a small tree. A nice plant, but trickier to grow
and not as decorative in flower.

Oh - I wonder, then, what it was I had as a child. How does the fruit of
Cydonia compare with C. speciosa?

The true quince is furry, with a strong scent, yellowish flesh and
is so highly aromatic that it is mouth wrinkling; it is NOT very
acid and, indeed, is fairly low on acid. That is probably why it
tends to rot fairly fast if stored.

Chaenomeles is smooth or wrinkled, goes yellow only after ripening
(in the UK), less scented, and has very hard, VERY acid flesh. It
is often smaller and keeps MUCH better - like most of winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.