Old 21-02-2004, 03:36 PM
klara King

Default help: best climber(s) or wall shrub(s)?

The true quince is furry, with a strong scent, yellowish flesh and
is so highly aromatic that it is mouth wrinkling; it is NOT very
acid and, indeed, is fairly low on acid. That is probably why it
tends to rot fairly fast if stored.

Furry and very aromatic rings a bell - the quince butter tasted like
very pungent candied fruit, as I remember ...
But, alas, we'll probably move from here once we retire in a few years -
and the developers already have their eye on all our gardens....
Klara

--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin
Old 21-02-2004, 10:34 PM
nambucca

Default best climber(s) or wall shrub(s)?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
nambucca wrote:

North wall, in fairly acid and often waterlogged soil, and it shouldn't

Clematis Armandii is one to choose by next year it should be pretty good

Look at the conditions. Clematis won't like them much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Apologies I missed the wet acid bit
I could swap them some of my over dry sandy well drained stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 27-02-2004, 12:19 AM
chris

Janet Tweedy wrote in message ...
In article , klara King
writes

We have a fairly large garden, but the view from the living-room window
is dominated by the (North-facing) side wall of the garage,

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Klara

Chanemoles They seem to flower most of the year and look really good in
spring. Keep them cut back against the wall and the spurs short and
you'll get masses of flower and you'll have a framework for climbers!
Mine flowers like anything on a north facing wall and there's a variety
of colours to choose from.

janet

montans clematis will grow like the clappers, give tons of flowers, be
dirt cheap to buy, can be hacked back if needed. Plant good and deep,
bit of feed, lots of water and your offfffffff.

I swear they grow so quickly you can almost see them do it.

CF