Old 20-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default help: best climber(s) or wall shrub(s)?

The message
from klara King contains these words:

We have a fairly large garden, but the view from the living-room window
is dominated by the (North-facing) side wall of the garage, and it used
to have large boring deciduous bushes in front of it.
The wall is shiplap, painted cream, and we mounted two trellises on it,
planning to plant climbers or wall shrubs. But now the decision: what to
plant? It needs to look interesting for as much of the year as possible,
as this is what we see from almost all windows, it needs to thrive on a
North wall, in fairly acid and often waterlogged soil, and it shouldn't
be too dark....
The variegated ivies come to mind - but the English are too vigorous and
could destroy the wall, and the colchicas always look sad and drooping
to me; we had just about decided on pyracantha, but it has very dark
green leaves....

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Hum - Unless your shiplap is plastic you may want to paint/treat it one day.

I'd think about hanging a net up a short distance from the garage and
growing a climber up that. Then you can move it away from the wall when
you need to.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 20-02-2004, 09:32 AM
klara King

In message , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
Hum - Unless your shiplap is plastic you may want to paint/treat it one
day.

I'd think about hanging a net up a short distance from the garage and
growing a climber up that. Then you can move it away from the wall when
you need to.

Yes, thanks - I had hoped we'd be able to unhook the trellis and lean it
outward - but of course the climber/shrub would have to be contained
within the trellis and be bendy enough, or able to regrow quickly from
being heavily pruned...
I think I'll never find this perfect plant
Klara

--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin
Old 20-02-2004, 09:47 AM
klara King

Default best climber(s) or wall shrub(s)?

:It needs to look interesting for as much of the year
: as possible, as this is what we see from almost all windows, it needs
: to thrive on a North wall, in fairly acid and often waterlogged soil,
: and it shouldn't be too dark....

I would try honeysuckle

One of the fancier evergreen ones? But which one is pretty for and not
too rampant for a 2-m trellis?
Klara
--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin
Old 20-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , klara King
writes

We have a fairly large garden, but the view from the living-room window
is dominated by the (North-facing) side wall of the garage,

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Klara

Chanemoles They seem to flower most of the year and look really good in
spring. Keep them cut back against the wall and the spurs short and
you'll get masses of flower and you'll have a framework for climbers!
Mine flowers like anything on a north facing wall and there's a variety
of colours to choose from.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 20-02-2004, 01:10 PM
klara King

Janet Tweedy writes
Chanemoles They seem to flower most of the year and look really good in
spring. Keep them cut back against the wall and the spurs short and
you'll get masses of flower and you'll have a framework for climbers!
Mine flowers like anything on a north facing wall and there's a variety
of colours to choose from.

Which one do you have, Janet? We have one on the opposite (south-facing)
wall, and it's flowering now, but once it finishes, that'll be it for
the year. Or do they actually do better on north-facing walls? Or do I
not prune it enough? It sends up masses of suckers; much of its energy
must be going there....
Klara

--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin

Old 20-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
nambucca wrote:

North wall, in fairly acid and often waterlogged soil, and it shouldn't

Clematis Armandii is one to choose by next year it should be pretty good

Look at the conditions. Clematis won't like them much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.