Old 22-02-2004, 11:49 PM
DavidL

Default Identifying and pruning a tree.

Hello all.

Firstly an introduction as I'm going to have a number of questions over
time!!
I have this house which could have a really nice garden. It used to be a
show garden and in pristine condition according to the neighbours, but this
is before the previous owners neglected it for a few years!! I haven't done
much either as I was concentrating on the inside, but I have set myself the
challenge to get the place looking nice over the next 2 years. This
includes tasks such as digging out the pond and replacing the liner,
creating a bog garden next to it, building an arch with a rope latice to go
the width of the garden (don't ask!) to go over the rockery and alpine patch
in the front, new fencing, new lawn, decking (I'm reading the threads on
that!) - just about everything in fact. And I have very little experience
with gardens, this being my first. I do know it will take time

I have a tree that needs a bit of pruning - it's a little bit big but looks
great when it flowers. I say a tree - I have no idea what else you would
call it!!

How can I identify it? And when I know that, what is the best way to treat
it??
The leaves are similar to leaves from an oak tree. The flowers are purple
and quite large - about 2" across maybe. The petals are 'floppy' if that
makes any sense - similar to those white flowers you get on the creeping
weeds - they twist as they unfurl. I also have another smaller tree of the
same type but with white flowers. The mature tree is about 8' tall, and
'flat' against a wall, spreading out fan shaped.

So how best to treat them? Thanks a lot for any advice

David.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:19 AM
DavidL

Hibiscus it is by checking some pictures. And according to the RHS website
now is a good time to give it a trim!!

One further question - the also say that it is best suited to being West or
South facing. Yet I have the smaller one North facing. Is it possible to
move it to the South side? Or is it best to leave it be? It would look
better on the south side as well and would seemingly grow better, but I
would rather leave it be than risk killing it. Any thoughts?

"Andy H" wrote in message
Hibiscus I should think.

Old 24-02-2004, 04:19 AM
DavidL

Hibiscus it is by checking some pictures. And according to the RHS website
now is a good time to give it a trim!!

One further question - the also say that it is best suited to being West or
South facing. Yet I have the smaller one North facing. Is it possible to
move it to the South side? Or is it best to leave it be? It would look
better on the south side as well and would seemingly grow better, but I
would rather leave it be than risk killing it. Any thoughts?

"Andy H" wrote in message
Hibiscus I should think.

Old 24-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "DavidL" contains these words:

I have a tree that needs a bit of pruning - it's a little bit big but looks
great when it flowers. I say a tree - I have no idea what else you would
call it!!

How can I identify it? And when I know that, what is the best way to treat
it??
The leaves are similar to leaves from an oak tree. The flowers are purple
and quite large - about 2" across maybe. The petals are 'floppy' if that
makes any sense - similar to those white flowers you get on the creeping
weeds - they twist as they unfurl. I also have another smaller tree of the
same type but with white flowers. The mature tree is about 8' tall, and
'flat' against a wall, spreading out fan shaped.

Boggle! Hibiscus syriacus? If so, I don't know how you prune them sorry.

If you go to the search engine www.google, click "images" on the row
above the box, write our ID suggestions in the box, click search, you'll
get pictures and can tell us if they match.

Janet.
Old 24-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Sacha

DavidL22/2/04 11:31

[...]

It sounds like Ipomoea or maybe Alyogyne but neither are hardy in Britain,
though Ipomoea can survive outside in the mildest areas and has both white
and purple varieties - not sure that Alyogyne has white. Where do you live?

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 24-02-2004, 11:43 PM
DavidL

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

It sounds like Ipomoea or maybe Alyogyne but neither are hardy in Britain,
though Ipomoea can survive outside in the mildest areas and has both white
and purple varieties - not sure that Alyogyne has white. Where do you

live?

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Andy H got it right - it's Hibiscus, and I checked it against some pictures
on the RHS website. They also say now is a good time to prune it.

Old 24-02-2004, 11:43 PM
DavidL

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
Boggle! Hibiscus syriacus? If so, I don't know how you prune them

sorry.

If you go to the search engine www.google, click "images" on the row
above the box, write our ID suggestions in the box, click search, you'll
get pictures and can tell us if they match.

Janet.

Hibiscus is a good guess - but Andy H beat you to it!! I checked it against
some pictures on the RHS website. They also say now is a good time to prune
it.

One further question - the also say that it is best suited to being West or
South facing. Yet I have the smaller one North facing. Is it possible to
move it to the South side? Or is it best to leave it be? It would look
better on the south side as well and would seemingly grow better, but I
would rather leave it be than risk killing it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
David.