Old 28-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Dan Keeley

Default First early potato's

Hi,

I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this weekend, but
is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or wont it matter?

I presume they must be resistant to frost anyway which is why i was thinking
it'd be ok to just plant them?? Wrong?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 28-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Rod

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:15:23 -0000, "Dan Keeley"
wrote:

Hi,

I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this weekend, but
is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or wont it matter?

I presume they must be resistant to frost anyway which is why i was thinking
it'd be ok to just plant them?? Wrong?

Thanks!
Dan

Let the frost clear a week or two delay won't hurt. The kind of frosts
we've had the last couple of weeks wouldn't have harmed potatoes
already planted so long as no growth was showing above the ground.
They are not resistant to frost - growth showing above the ground will
be damaged so even in April, sometimes May - if frost is forcast you
need to earth up and cover the new shoots

Rod

Old 28-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Robert

: Hi,
:
: I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this
: weekend, but is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or
: wont it matter?
:
: I presume they must be resistant to frost anyway which is why i was
: thinking it'd be ok to just plant them?? Wrong?
:
: Thanks!
: Dan

You can plant them now and I would advise planting deep. The only trouble is
that they will be through when the late frosts catch us out so you will have
to be on guard with fleece or newspapers to nip over the tops as you will
have earthed them up as far as you can by that time

Robert South West England
Norton says I am virus free

Old 28-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message cL_%b.669$sh4.554@newsfe1-win
from "Dan Keeley" contains these words:

I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this weekend, but
is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or wont it matter?

I presume they must be resistant to frost anyway which is why i was thinking
it'd be ok to just plant them?? Wrong?

Sorry. Wrong.

Plant them (traditionally) on Good Friday - depending on where in the
country you are.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 28-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Rod contains these words:

Let the frost clear a week or two delay won't hurt. The kind of frosts
we've had the last couple of weeks wouldn't have harmed potatoes
already planted so long as no growth was showing above the ground.
They are not resistant to frost - growth showing above the ground will
be damaged so even in April, sometimes May - if frost is forcast you
need to earth up and cover the new shoots

They would have been well-killed here in east anglia this winter. The
ground was frozen to a depth of about four inches earlier this week.

Old 28-02-2004, 06:53 PM
martin

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:41:27 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message cL_%b.669$sh4.554@newsfe1-win
from "Dan Keeley" contains these words:

I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this weekend, but
is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or wont it matter?

I presume they must be resistant to frost anyway which is why i was thinking
it'd be ok to just plant them?? Wrong?

Sorry. Wrong.

Plant them (traditionally) on Good Friday - depending on where in the
country you are.

but Good Friday is a movable feast. I think you'll have to do better
than that.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 28-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message cL_%b.669$sh4.554@newsfe1-win
from "Dan Keeley" contains these words:

Hi,

I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this weekend, but
is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or wont it matter?

Don't plant in frost. The old saying is, plant potatoes when the earth
is warm enough to sit on without your trousers.

Janet.

Old 28-02-2004, 10:31 PM
shazzbat

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message cL_%b.669$sh4.554@newsfe1-win
from "Dan Keeley" contains these words:

Hi,

I've got some well chitted first earlies, wanted to plant this weekend,

but
is it wise with the frozen ground? should I wait? or wont it matter?

Don't plant in frost. The old saying is, plant potatoes when the earth
is warm enough to sit on without your trousers.

Yes, but you'd need your thermals right now, no?

Steve