Old 29-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Rabbits, chewing, and planting saplings

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

There are those who say (like me) that the best thing that can happen to a
young Leylandii hedge is to be consumed by rabbits. {:-)

More seriously, I did not know that rabbits attacked conifers.

Franz

Old 29-02-2004, 11:39 AM
klara King

In message , Chris Wilson
writes
We have a wild rabbit problem and similar saplings put in about 4 years
ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.

This *may* help. We had a problem with deer eating the roses, and we
tried this spray. I think it worked - there seems to be much less deer
damage now - but we only tried it late last year, so there may have been
other reasons. Worth trying, maybe, anyway?

http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/supplies/protection

BTW, I have absolutely no connection with this business or the product.

Klara
--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin

Old 29-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "John Flax" contains these words:

Ask your tree supplier about Tubex tree protectors and spirals.

Both are intended for trees which will have a clear lower trunk to a
height of between 2 and 4 ft; neither would be appropriate on hedging
conifers.

Janet

Old 29-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:34:38 -0000, Chris Wilson
wrote:

I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

You include your answer in your query. If rabbits are chewing on your
older plants, they will almost certainly chew on younger ones. Rabbits
are persistent and determined when the dinner table's set. Folk
remedies and sprays don't work with hungry rabbits and deer. Physical
barriers are the *only* sure remedy. If there are plastic tubes that
fit the size saplings you propose, it'd be worth a shot. I don't know
how expensive it might be. Otherwise, sturdy fencing is required.
Old 29-02-2004, 11:45 PM
FF

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:59:04 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
m...
I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

There are those who say (like me) that the best thing that can happen to a
young Leylandii hedge is to be consumed by rabbits. {:-)

More seriously, I did not know that rabbits attacked conifers.

Franz

They're special "hit-rabbits", paid by a group of gardeners in the Midlands. Their
leader calls himself Thumper, which is obviously a pseudonym, and their mission is to
destroy all Leylandii on this island. You think they're scared of Elmer Fudd? Hmmm...

Liz

Planting saplings Tim United Kingdom 10 01-02-2011 08:48 PM
Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Puppy chewing plants: Any ideas? SallyJ United Kingdom 19 01-08-2006 12:14 PM
planting mulberry trees saplings [email protected] Gardening 1 29-05-2005 07:53 PM
Selective Chewing Asiatic Lily Buds Joe Gardening 2 16-07-2004 02:02 AM