Old 28-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Chris Wilson

Default Rabbits, chewing, and planting saplings

I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Chris.
Old 29-02-2004, 09:32 AM
John Flax

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Chris.

Ask your tree supplier about Tubex tree protectors and spirals.

Old 29-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Dr Jack Hammer

On 29 Feb 2004 00:10:41 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

Subject: Rabbits, chewing, and planting saplings
From: Chris Wilson
lid
Date: 28/02/2004 23:34 GMT Standard Time
I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

If it's 200 leylandii, I'm rooting for the rabbits here. On a more serious
note, chicken wire around should keep them at bay for a while.

Chicken wire will keep them at bay for ever if properly maintained,
which isn't too difficult unless you're incredibly lazy.

Beyond that,
loathe as I am to say it, get a guy in with a shotgun.

Which does bugger all for keeping rabbits at bay and merely serves to
keep a deviant with blood lust amused.

You should not encourage deviant activity.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com
Old 29-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Dr Jack Hammer

Old 29-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Dr Jack Hammer

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:32:39 -0000, Chris Wilson
wrote:

In article ,
says...

If it's 200 leylandii, I'm rooting for the rabbits here.

LOL, we are out in the sticks, so no one will suffer...

On a more serious
note, chicken wire around should keep them at bay for a while.

Hmm, not sure if I fancy wiring each individually, or 600 feet of
planting, either side, with the netting dug in to stop the buggers
getting under. I was more thinking of those plastic tubes you see when
they plant saplings on motorway verges? Would they work do you know?

The tubes are very good, once again if maintained. Probably better
with chicken wire for such a large area. Why cant you plant some
decent trees by the way, leylandii are a real pain and not much
benefit to wildlife.

Beyond that,
loathe as I am to say it, get a guy in with a shotgun.

I AM a guy with a shotgun, but I am sick of rabbit pie and staying up
all night hunting the things. I don't even like killing them, so would
prefer to protect the trees rather than annihilate all the rabbits
I probably really mean I am a *rap shot, and too sentimental about
bunnies...

Hope you don't use lead shot?

Rather than just protecting the trees themselves, might it be better
to fence off your plot as a whole and kill many birds with one stone?

Old 29-02-2004, 11:19 AM
klara King

In message , Chris Wilson
writes
We have a wild rabbit problem and similar saplings put in about 4 years
ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.

This *may* help. We had a problem with deer eating the roses, and we
tried this spray. I think it worked - there seems to be much less deer
damage now - but we only tried it late last year, so there may have been
other reasons. Worth trying, maybe, anyway?

http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/supplies/protection

BTW, I have absolutely no connection with this business or the product.

Klara
--
damp and cold in Gatwick basin

Old 29-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Franz Heymann

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I am intending planting about 200 leylandii saplings, each about 2 foot
tall to delineate a boundary. We have a wild rabbit problem and similar
saplings put in about 4 years ago had the protection of rabbit fencing.
This has been removed now, and already some bark damage is evident to
the original, fairly well established plants. The size of the area makes
control difficult. What is the best means of physically protecting the
new saplings from nibbling damage? As we are talking a couple of hundred
plants cost is a major issue. Thanks.

There are those who say (like me) that the best thing that can happen to a
young Leylandii hedge is to be consumed by rabbits. {:-)

More seriously, I did not know that rabbits attacked conifers.

Franz

Planting saplings Tim United Kingdom 10 01-02-2011 08:48 PM
Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Puppy chewing plants: Any ideas? SallyJ United Kingdom 19 01-08-2006 12:14 PM
planting mulberry trees saplings [email protected] Gardening 1 29-05-2005 07:53 PM
Selective Chewing Asiatic Lily Buds Joe Gardening 2 16-07-2004 02:02 AM