Old 02-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Keith Dancey

Default Save Ranscombe Farm

Plantlife - the wild plant conservation charity - has a chance to purchase
Ranscombe Farm, near Rochester in Kent.

This farm, some 680 acres of woodland and arable land, has one of the country's
greatest concentrations of endangered plants, and contains the single most
important arable flower site in the UK.

There are some species here which are threatened with extinction.

Because of the importance of this site the Government and the Local Authority
are providing a huge amount of money, so long as Plantlife can find the
remainder, and can do so before the end of the Financial Year.

Plantlife need to raise £120,000 (for every pound raised the Government
and Local Authority could add another eight.)

It is a big "ask" for a small charity such as Plantlife to raise.

All donations, please, to

Plantlife International,
Freepost LON 10717,
Salisbury,
SP1 1BR

See www.plantlife.org.uk for details about the charity.

Cheers,

keith

Old 02-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Sacha

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

Plantlife - the wild plant conservation charity - has a chance to purchase
Ranscombe Farm, near Rochester in Kent.

snip

See
www.plantlife.org.uk for details about the charity.

Have you approached the Lottery fund people? And I wonder if the Prince's
Trust would get involved in something like this.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 02-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Keith Dancey

In article , Sacha writes:

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

Plantlife - the wild plant conservation charity - has a chance to purchase
Ranscombe Farm, near Rochester in Kent.

snip

See
www.plantlife.org.uk for details about the charity.

Have you approached the Lottery fund people? And I wonder if the Prince's
Trust would get involved in something like this.

Personally, no. I'm just a member. HMG have offered £665,000 for the project,
and Medway Council is "thinking about" donating £265,000. So, you see, the
gearing level for donations attracting extra funding is very high. That is
a measure of the national importance of this site.

The unfortunate aspect is that HMG's funding is tied to the land being acquired
and the money spent by the end of this Financial Year:-} These sorts of funds
are then tied to the charity concerned raising a proportion of the sum itself.

Plantlife's Biodiversity Programme Manager says the site has more "Back From
the Brink" species than any other single site in Britain. This includes
meadow clary, hairy mallow, broad-leaved cudweed and ground pine.

It is thought to be the only site in Britain where the corncockle still grows
wild.

It has blue pimpernel, lady and man orchids, and hosts of other charismatic wild
plants giving a richness of biodiversity unequalled elsewhere.

By taking ownership, Plantlife will be able to conserve this seedbank, and
through sympathetic management, encourage the full potential of the site.

But Plantlife is small. I've coughed up my three figure sum, but I thought I'd
give this particular appeal a bit more publicity. It was gardening which got
me into wild plants, anyway. We don't really know what we are missing with so
much blanket herbicide having been applied to the countryside over the last
fifty years:-(

Cheers,

keith

---
Iraq: 5 thousand million pounds, 60 lives, and counting...
The Politicians will now seek to blame the Spooks.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Sacha

Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16
In article
, Sacha
writes:

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

Plantlife - the wild plant conservation charity - has a chance to purchase
Ranscombe Farm, near Rochester in Kent.

snip

See
www.plantlife.org.uk for details about the charity.

Have you approached the Lottery fund people? And I wonder if the Prince's
Trust would get involved in something like this.

Personally, no. I'm just a member.

snip
Plantlife's Biodiversity Programme Manager says the site has more "Back From
the Brink" species than any other single site in Britain. This includes
meadow clary, hairy mallow, broad-leaved cudweed and ground pine.

It is thought to be the only site in Britain where the corncockle still grows
wild.

snip

Absolutely, definitely suggest they involve the Prince of Wales, then! No
joking - sounds right up his street.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Sacha

Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16
In article
, Sacha

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Sacha

Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16
In article
, Sacha

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Sacha

Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16
In article
, Sacha

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

Old 03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Keith Dancey

In article , Sacha writes:
Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16

In article
, Sacha
writes:

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

[...]

You're not wrong there.

From www.plantlife.org.uk:

"Plantlife International - The Wild-Plant Conservation Charity . Patron - His
Royal Highness The Prince of Wales"

:-)

Cheers,

keith

---

Old 03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Sacha

Keith Dancey3/3/04 1:05
In article
, Sacha
writes:

snip
Plantlife's Biodiversity Programme Manager says the site has more "Back From
the Brink" species than any other single site in Britain. This includes
meadow clary, hairy mallow, broad-leaved cudweed and ground pine.

It is thought to be the only site in Britain where the corncockle still
grows
wild.

snip

Absolutely, definitely suggest they involve the Prince of Wales, then! No
joking - sounds right up his street.

You're not wrong there.

From
www.plantlife.org.uk:

"Plantlife International - The Wild-Plant Conservation Charity . Patron - His
Royal Highness The Prince of Wales"

My children hate me when I do this but "told you so". ;-) If Ranscombe can
get him on board, their future is made, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Keith Dancey

In article , Sacha writes:
Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16

In article
, Sacha

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

From www.plantlife.org.uk:

Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
martin

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:14:04 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Keith Dancey3/3/04 1:05
In article
, Sacha
writes:

snip
Plantlife's Biodiversity Programme Manager says the site has more "Back From
the Brink" species than any other single site in Britain. This includes
meadow clary, hairy mallow, broad-leaved cudweed and ground pine.

It is thought to be the only site in Britain where the corncockle still
grows
wild.
snip

Absolutely, definitely suggest they involve the Prince of Wales, then! No
joking - sounds right up his street.

You're not wrong there.

From
www.plantlife.org.uk:

"Plantlife International - The Wild-Plant Conservation Charity . Patron - His
Royal Highness The Prince of Wales"

My children hate me when I do this but "told you so". ;-) If Ranscombe can
get him on board, their future is made, IMO.

He could pay for it with about 10 minutes of his income.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 03-03-2004, 10:13 PM
martin

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:14:04 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Keith Dancey3/3/04 1:05
In article
, Sacha

snip

Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 PM
martin

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:14:04 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Keith Dancey3/3/04 1:05
In article
, Sacha

snip

Old 03-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Keith Dancey

In article , Sacha writes:
Keith Dancey2/3/04 10:16

In article
, Sacha

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45

From www.plantlife.org.uk:

Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

From www.plantlife.org.uk:

"Plantlife International - The Wild-Plant Conservation Charity .
Patron - His
Royal Highness The Prince of Wales"

My children hate me when I do this but "told you so". ;-) If Ranscombe can
get him on board, their future is made, IMO.

Ahem..maybe the POW isn't paying close attention :~}

Keith Dancey1/3/04 4:45 Plantlife - the wild plant conservation charity - has a chance to
purchase
Ranscombe Farm, near Rochester in Kent.

Janet.

Save Ranscombe Farm Keith Dancey United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:07 AM
Save Ranscombe Farm Keith Dancey United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 01:13 AM
farm pond help! Eddie Ponds 1 31-03-2003 05:56 AM
Farm pond improvement question. CR Ponds 0 30-03-2003 03:56 PM
Antique Rose Farm Info wanted about Mark or Travis Roses 0 02-02-2003 06:09 PM