Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Preventing regrowth of horsetails.

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

| I used to buy beer at 1/- a pint.
|
| But it didn't kill weeds. (Boom-boom!)

Some of it (e.g. Watney's Gaslight) didn't make you drunk before
your belly filled up, either.

Never heard of that one, but then, I have never considered Watney's even
remotely drinkable.

Watney's called it Starlight, but its nickname described it better.
It wasn't unpleasant, just rather flavourless and gassy - much like
a weaker USA beer.

I heard rumours that a couple of brands were as cheap as they were
because the brewery wasn't taxed on them.

Do you mean the brewery didn't have to pay booze levy because the
content was less than (IIRC) about 2° Proof?

Yes.

Red Barrel died because Which? Magazine said that if it had been half a
degree less it 'could have been sold over sweetshop counters to
children'.

That wasn't the main reason - it was stronger than Gaslight :-)

It didn't taste particularly nice, either, though it was a hell of
a lot more drinkable than Grotney's Red - one of the most loathely
brews I have ever encountered.

But that's not really a criterion of quality - I make a very pleasant
beer (boys' beer) which is even weaker than that: two pounds of malt and
four ounces of hops to five gallons of brew.

Quite. I am very sad that I can't buy dry cider at 4%, as I used
to be able to - the point is that I LIKE cider, and am not intending
to get plastered as fast and cheaply as possible :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Nick Maclaren

The message

Old 05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

The message

Old 05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:32:59 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

I used to buy horticultural sodium chlorate (dirty pink, it was) for
1/6d a pound.

I used to buy beer at 1/- a pint.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

As a student in Cape Town, we drank Castle Special at 10p per quart. It was
not sold in smaller quantities.

Franz

Old 05-03-2004, 11:40 AM

(Keith Dancey) wrote in message ...
In article
, Jane Ransom writes:
In article , Keith Dancey
writes

Has anyone any experience of
using sodium chlorate against horsetail? It would help if we could get
some "hands-on" feedback... I have never dared use it.

No, but a few years back someone posted here that he had eradicated his
by continually cutting it back over a period of about 5 years. He was
pretty vicious with it, never letting the foliage see the light of day.

Hmmmm... been cutting mine for over ten years. The thing is, you cannot
cut what you cannot see, and if you cannot see it, it cannot have seen the
light of day.

Judging from the other comments, the patio is more in danger than the
horsetail:-(

Has the OP ever thought of moving:-}

I'm dealing with the same problem in Ontario Canada. The undeveloped
area behind my yard is full of the stuff and last year it pretty much
infested the first meter and a half into my lawn. Every so often i'd
go out there and manually pick all the shoots that i could see through
the grass. There's also a flowerbed back there and i could usually
get a good foot of root out from the deep mulch/soil before it would
break off.

So now that it's taken a foothold into my yard am i completely doomed?
Or is there anything i can do to keep it from spreading further and
further into my yard every year. In another 3 meters it will reach
the veggie garden which i don't want to happen.

Kevin

Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

The message

Old 05-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

Quite. I am very sad that I can't buy dry cider at 4%, as I used
to be able to - the point is that I LIKE cider, and am not intending
to get plastered as fast and cheaply as possible :-(

The Cider Shed, Banham, Norfolk sells (proper) cider at 5% -
www.cidershed.com or www.cidershed.co.uk - one of the two. I'm sure Ryan
would send some by carrier.

He usually has some quite interesting ones for sale by the litre
(carry-oots), but the bulk of it is either sweet or dry, and you can opt
(even at the bar) for half and half, dry and a dribble, sweet and a
dribble, 75/25, 25/75 etc.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 05-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

Quite. I am very sad that I can't buy dry cider at 4%, as I used
to be able to - the point is that I LIKE cider, and am not intending
to get plastered as fast and cheaply as possible :-(

The Cider Shed, Banham, Norfolk sells (proper) cider at 5% -
www.cidershed.com or www.cidershed.co.uk - one of the two. I'm sure Ryan
would send some by carrier.

He usually has some quite interesting ones for sale by the litre
(carry-oots), but the bulk of it is either sweet or dry, and you can opt
(even at the bar) for half and half, dry and a dribble, sweet and a
dribble, 75/25, 25/75 etc.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

regrowth of barberry [email protected] Gardening 0 07-10-2005 09:22 PM
Berberis darwinii regrowth after pruning Paul United Kingdom 2 21-02-2005 06:35 PM
Scale regrowth Gary Ponds 8 01-02-2005 02:37 PM
Preventing regrowth of horsetails. Mike United Kingdom 0 02-03-2004 04:15 AM
Squash regrowth Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 2 08-09-2003 04:32 PM