Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 PM
D Russell

Default Compost or peat

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Unfortunately the alternatives do not seem to perform as well as peat, so
most compost, Gro Bags etc. are still AFAIK peat based.

The alternatives are becoming more numerous and are improving. I use New
Horizon peat free, which has performed quite well in tests, and does OK
for me. Nice to handle, too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

On a similar note, the one replacement I would like to see is a reliable
peat replacement for carnivorous plants. I have several Sundews, Pitcher
plants, and Venus fly traps, which could do with potting on. The idea of
buying the 70l bag of pure peat is abhorrent to me, I simply don't want to,
even thoug it is only a few pounds.

So does anybody know if any of the peat replacements are adequate for bog
based carnivorous plants ?

I have found a cheap source of sedge peat, but I find it difficult to
believe that this would be nutrient free like the bog peat, though I haven't
checked online yet

Cheers
Duncan

Old 03-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Stuart Forbes

I have found a cheap source of sedge peat, but I find it difficult to
believe that this would be nutrient free like the bog peat, though I

haven't
checked online yet

Don't use sedge peat, I've learnt the hard way that carnivorous plants hate
it. I use Irish moss peat now, and they thrive in it.

I use a 50/50 peat/sand or perlite mix, and its works great for all my
carnivourous plants.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 04-03-2004, 09:37 AM
D Russell

"Stuart Forbes" wrote in message
I have found a cheap source of sedge peat, but I find it difficult to
believe that this would be nutrient free like the bog peat, though I

haven't
checked online yet

Don't use sedge peat, I've learnt the hard way that carnivorous plants

hate
it. I use Irish moss peat now, and they thrive in it.

I use a 50/50 peat/sand or perlite mix, and its works great for all my
carnivourous plants.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Many thanks, that's saved me one expensive mistake. Now my only problem is
find a small supply of Irish Moss Peat. Last time I need this a kindly soul
at a very local GC took pity and game me some of theirs, from a split bag.
However they seem to have changed their policy toward such freebies !!!,
shame.

So do I now go against everything I believe in and buy some Irish Moss peat,
for the first time in years, just to pot up a half dozen small plants ? Plus
you can only buy the stuff in massive bales down here.

Duncan