Old 08-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default moles v butyl

"Elaine" wrote in message
My pond is gradually being surrounded by molehills. It has a butyl liner

and
is edged with quite large stones but no cement. (about 2 yards by 3 yards
and a foot deep at the sides) Does anyone know if the weight of water will
have compacted the ground enough to be unattractive to moles or am I at

risk
of a leaking pond?

You are at risk.
Just replaced an 8 x 6 metre liner for our neighbour. Saved a bit of money
using a lifetime guaranteed PVC liner instead of her butyl, which had a
series of holes. (More leaks than Westminster!). Since the liner had been
attacked by moles evry year, at differing levels, we decided to stop
patching and do something more drastic. We put down layers of old
hessian-backed carpet to deter the moles in future, (The butyl was laid on
sand.) We've just finished putting all the plants back - let you know if the
moles strike again.