Old 10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Seaweed extract

We always put a little mangled seaweed in with our spuds when we plant 'em -
it does wonders for the flavour but is a pain to collect.
I was reading the label on some ericacious (spelling?) liquid feed and saw
that it was "seaweed extract". Checked a couple more brands and they said
the same.
If I were to feed my tatties with this, d'you reckon it will improve the
flavour of the spuds in the same way harvested seaweed does? (It'd save a
lot of hard work - not to mention the smell in the back of the car....)

Old 10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

We always put a little mangled seaweed in with our spuds when we plant 'em -
it does wonders for the flavour but is a pain to collect.
I was reading the label on some ericacious (spelling?) liquid feed and saw
that it was "seaweed extract". Checked a couple more brands and they said
the same.
If I were to feed my tatties with this, d'you reckon it will improve the
flavour of the spuds in the same way harvested seaweed does? (It'd save a
lot of hard work - not to mention the smell in the back of the car....)

Years ago at an agricultural show I bought some very concentrated
seaweed extract which was being sold as a farm crop spray..unfortunately
can't remember the trade name but an agricultural supplier should be
able to tell you. It was wonderful stuff. I think anything to do with
seaweed has an almost magical benefit to plants, in health and strength
as well as the flavour of potatoes.

We collected 50 sacks of seaweed last weekend, some of which is
ear-marked for the potato planting :-) As for car odour...well, it
helped to reduce the smell of our wet dog, and the horse manure from the
week before.

Janet

Old 11-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message
((snip))
We collected 50 sacks of seaweed last weekend, some of which is
ear-marked for the potato planting :-) As for car odour...well, it
helped to reduce the smell of our wet dog, and the horse manure from the
week before.

Well that' the sort of reason we now have an old Landrover (or two!) as a
mobile allotment shed. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 11-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
[...]

Do you compost the seaweed before use?
Do you hang it out to let the rain wash out the salt?

Franz

Old 12-03-2004, 10:02 AM

SNIPPED
Years ago at an agricultural show I bought some very concentrated
seaweed extract which was being sold as a farm crop spray..unfortunately
can't remember the trade name but an agricultural supplier should be
able to tell you. It was wonderful stuff. I think anything to do with
seaweed has an almost magical benefit to plants, in health and strength
as well as the flavour of potatoes.

We collected 50 sacks of seaweed last weekend, some of which is
ear-marked for the potato planting :-) As for car odour...well, it
helped to reduce the smell of our wet dog, and the horse manure from the
week before.

Go and have a look here andmake up your own mind

http://www.media52.net/archives/000024.html

Old 12-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Do you compost the seaweed before use?
Do you hang it out to let the rain wash out the salt?

The Hebridean method is to get a load of seaweed in the spring. Dig all
the deep litter out of the byre. Pull the roof off the house.

As you build the heap, mix the litter, seaweed and the old hay from the
thatch, and leave the heap for a year.

Use last year's heap to add to the lazy beds.

If you should find some of these ingredients problematic, as some people
do these days, even in the Utter Hebrides, I understand that seaweed and
lawnmowings along with the usual constituents of a compost heap are
pretty nearly as good.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 12-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Sue da Nimm

"K" wrote in message
news
SNIPPED
Years ago at an agricultural show I bought some very concentrated
seaweed extract which was being sold as a farm crop

spray..unfortunately
can't remember the trade name but an agricultural supplier should be
able to tell you. It was wonderful stuff. I think anything to do with
seaweed has an almost magical benefit to plants, in health and strength
as well as the flavour of potatoes.

snip Go and have a look here andmake up your own mind

http://www.media52.net/archives/000024.html

So, if this is true, not only will my spuds taste better, but they'll also
cook themselves?

];o)

Old 12-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from K contains these words:

SNIPPED
Years ago at an agricultural show I bought some very concentrated
seaweed extract which was being sold as a farm crop spray..unfortunately
can't remember the trade name but an agricultural supplier should be
able to tell you. It was wonderful stuff. I think anything to do with
seaweed has an almost magical benefit to plants, in health and strength
as well as the flavour of potatoes.

We collected 50 sacks of seaweed last weekend, some of which is
ear-marked for the potato planting :-) As for car odour...well, it
helped to reduce the smell of our wet dog, and the horse manure from the
week before.

Go and have a look here andmake up your own mind

http://www.media52.net/archives/000024.html

Yes, I know. I balance seaweed risk against Firth of Clyde radiation
levels from Sellafield, Holy Loch, Coulport, Hunterston power station,
passing nuclear submarines. Plus 18 years breathing drinking and eating
in Chernobyl's contamination area, regular mammograms, watching TV and
sitting in front of a computer.

It's quite useful to glow faintly while hiding under the duvet waiting
for the Highland Boundary Fault's next earthquake, or one of the
"extinct" volcanoes I can see from the window to change its mind :-(

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Old 12-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from K contains these words:

SNIPPED

Seaweed extract Green Shoots Lawns 5 16-07-2012 06:08 PM
Where to get seaweed extract for garden? Sarah Dale United Kingdom 6 13-10-2004 05:56 PM
Seaweed extract Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 3 10-03-2004 11:46 PM
Seaweed extract Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 0 10-03-2004 11:44 PM
[IBC] Yucca Schidigera extract lou E Bonsai 2 28-01-2003 02:13 PM