Old 16-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Trevor Appleton

Default Queen wasps epidemic?[slightly OT]

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:12:48 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Perhaps the same one?

No way, the others ended up with severe headaches and very flat

Old 16-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Trevor Appleton" contains these words:
wrote:

Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Perhaps the same one?

No way, the others ended up with severe headaches and very flat

Why? Wasps are very beneficial to the gardener most of the season. It's
only when the fruit appears that they become a bit of a nuisance.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 16-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This

winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Perhaps the same one?

No way, the others ended up with severe headaches and very flat

Why? Wasps are very beneficial to the gardener most of the season. It's
only when the fruit appears that they become a bit of a nuisance.

Could you define the nuisance?

Mary

Old 16-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Wasps

Could you define the nuisance?

Is it really necessary?

Yes, I could, and presumably if I left it at that you would ask me to do
so, so I'll save you the trouble.....

Earlier in the year I tolerate them planing the wooden surfaces of my
shed and gridge and carrying off small parcels of them, and count that
no great nuisance as the effect is so small. However, wopses in the jam,
wopses in a hole round the back of the pear I have just picked and
dropped in a hurry, wopses in my beer and wopses on the raspberries I do
find a nuisance.

HTH

Old 16-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Wasps

Could you define the nuisance?

Is it really necessary?

Yes, I could, and presumably if I left it at that you would ask me to do
so, so I'll save you the trouble.....

Earlier in the year I tolerate them planing the wooden surfaces of my
shed and gridge and carrying off small parcels of them, and count that
no great nuisance as the effect is so small. However, wopses in the jam,
wopses in a hole round the back of the pear I have just picked and
dropped in a hurry, wopses in my beer and wopses on the raspberries I do
find a nuisance.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't understand why they're a nuisance

:-)

Mary

Old 16-03-2004, 01:39 PM
David Hill

"....I hear what you're saying, I just don't understand why they're a
nuisance ......."

If you were allergic to their sting you would.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
"....I hear what you're saying, I just don't understand why they're a
nuisance ......."

If you were allergic to their sting you would.

I make every effort not to be stung by wasps - it's not difficult - because
I DO have a general reaction to their sting. a general reaction isn't the
same as terrible swelling and itching, that't not an allergy, in case
someone reads this and doesn't know.

Mary

--
David Hill