Old 14-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Queen wasps epidemic?[slightly OT]

Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Old 15-03-2004, 02:03 AM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:12:48 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Sounds about right.
I see quite a few out at my workshop, where the local foliage provides
a good food source for wasps in the summer.
As soon as the weather turns even remotely pleasant, they come out to
play.
I guess that would explain why, on the whole, wasps are so abundant
later in the year....the queen ain't a slacker!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 15-03-2004, 09:16 AM
martin

wrote:

Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Perhaps the same one?
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 15-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Simon S

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message ...
Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

The Queens are meant to survive the winter. Its the drones that die,
mostly from lack of food rather than frost. Now if you were getting
drones in the house this would indicate a possible shift. In places
like Florida or parts of Australia the European wasp is a real
problem. They do not die off over the winter and nests get to horrific
proportions.
Old 15-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Mary Fisher

"Simon S" wrote in message
m...

The Queens are meant to survive the winter. Its the drones that die,

And the workers.

In places
like Florida or parts of Australia the European wasp is a real
problem. They do not die off over the winter and nests get to horrific
proportions.

Not if you're a wasp!

Mary