Old 18-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Queen wasps epidemic?[slightly OT]

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I don't like wasps (aversion to being stung, which can happen how ever
careful you are)

Yes, it can happen even with great care. But I wouldn't kill all - or any -
wasps just in case I was stung. It doesn't make sense.

I didn't kill honey bees in 25 years of beekeeping either - even though I
sometimes had a general reaction to their stings too.

Mary

Old 19-03-2004, 04:11 AM
June Hughes

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I don't like wasps (aversion to being stung, which can happen how ever
careful you are)

Yes, it can happen even with great care. But I wouldn't kill all - or any -
wasps just in case I was stung. It doesn't make sense.

I didn't kill honey bees in 25 years of beekeeping either - even though I
sometimes had a general reaction to their stings too.

Mary

Hello Mary. We have wasps building a nest in our next-door neighbour's
roof at present. I can see them flying in and out just above the window
of my office. As I understand it, their story is fascinating, to say
the least, with two females being impregnated in autumn and then all the
males dying off, leaving the said two females to start a new nest.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Mary Fisher

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Hello Mary. We have wasps building a nest in our next-door neighbour's
roof at present. I can see them flying in and out just above the window
of my office.

Er - how many can you see flying in and out?

As I understand it, their story is fascinating, to say
the least, with two females being impregnated in autumn and then all the
males dying off, leaving the said two females to start a new nest.

Hmm. It's not quite like that.

I'll mail you.

Mary

--
June Hughes

Old 19-03-2004, 06:43 PM
trevor.appleton

Hello Mary. We have wasps building a nest in our next-door neighbour's
roof at present. I can see them flying in and out just above the window
of my office.

I've never heard of a wasps nest B4 July !

Old 19-03-2004, 07:09 PM
June Hughes

In message F_G6c.896$74.99@newsfe1-win, trevor.appleton
writes

Hello Mary. We have wasps building a nest in our next-door neighbour's
roof at present. I can see them flying in and out just above the window
of my office.

I've never heard of a wasps nest B4 July !

The building starts in spring & only become a pest in autumn, when they
get ****ed on rotten fruit.
--
June Hughes