Old 17-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Mary Fisher

Default Queen wasps epidemic?[slightly OT]

"David Hill" wrote in message
"....I hear what you're saying, I just don't understand why they're a
nuisance ......."

If you were allergic to their sting you would.

I make every effort not to be stung by wasps - it's not difficult - because
I DO have a general reaction to their sting. a general reaction isn't the
same as terrible swelling and itching, that't not an allergy, in case
someone reads this and doesn't know.

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Trevor Appleton

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"David Hill" wrote in message
"....I hear what you're saying, I just don't understand why they're a
nuisance ......."

If you were allergic to their sting you would.

I make every effort not to be stung by wasps - it's not difficult -

because
I DO have a general reaction to their sting. a general reaction isn't the
same as terrible swelling and itching, that't not an allergy, in case
someone reads this and doesn't know.

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Yet another one in the house tonight, thats three in 10 days. We have never
had one in a whole winter in previous years.

Our conservatory fills up with hundreds of hoverflies in the summer. My wife
is paranoid about insects (two years ago she lost 2.5 stones because of
them).

Sadly, they all have to 'go'

....and I class myself as an environmentalist (but I also enjoy peace in the
household!)

Trevor

Old 17-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Mary Fisher

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This

winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

Yet another one in the house tonight, thats three in 10 days. We have

never
had one in a whole winter in previous years.

Our conservatory fills up with hundreds of hoverflies in the summer. My

wife
is paranoid about insects (two years ago she lost 2.5 stones because of
them).

Sadly, they all have to 'go'

Including the wife?

Old 18-03-2004, 03:18 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Mild winter or hot summer?

We have never had a Queen Wasp in the house B4 in the winter. This winter
its about one every 10 days all winter long!

I have had either:

(1) 2 queen wasps in my loft in about 3 hours
or
(2) one queen wasp with a remarkable resistance to Tetramethrin and
d-phenothrin.

I don't like wasps (aversion to being stung, which can happen how ever
careful you are) but can tolerate them in the garden.

However (especially as I hope to sell my house this year) I don't want them
nesting in my loft - not the recipe for a successful viewing IMHO.

I presume they have been over-wintering in the loft and are now looking for
somewhere to start nest construction.

NIMBY!
or in this case
NIMBL!

Cheers
Dave R

Old 18-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Mary Fisher

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I don't like wasps (aversion to being stung, which can happen how ever
careful you are)

Yes, it can happen even with great care. But I wouldn't kill all - or any -
wasps just in case I was stung. It doesn't make sense.

I didn't kill honey bees in 25 years of beekeeping either - even though I
sometimes had a general reaction to their stings too.

Mary