Old 18-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Horticultural Qualifications

"Mike" wrote in message
Rod I will go along with you 101% on getting some practical experience as
well. During my working life I have been an Instructor. Not in this field

of

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately my circumstances mean I don't know
where I'm going to be during the week for most of the time so regularly
attending a college is impossible ( I'm an IT consultant working around the
country) and that also means my weekends are very busy. However, I do get a
lot of free time during the evenings during the week when I'm stuck in hotel
rooms so a correspondence course would be ideal.

I do understand about getting lots of practical experience but I'll just
have to find that when I can rather than rely on the course to supply it.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 18-03-2004, 01:26 PM
sahara

Rod wrote in message

I agree with Neil about college courses but the practical stuff lke
plant ident will vary widely between colleges and tutors, that's why I
suggested trying to get work paid or voluntary in good gardens staffed
by pros, they love airing their knowledge, especially if they've got a
receptive audience :~))
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Hello
I have recently been considering horticultural qualifications for a
possible career change. I am very interested in finding voluntary /
paid work in gardens but have no idea how to go about finding such
work. Any suggestions?
thanks
Sarah a

Old 18-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Mike

Hello
I have recently been considering horticultural qualifications for a
possible career change. I am very interested in finding voluntary /
paid work in gardens but have no idea how to go about finding such
work. Any suggestions?
thanks
Sarah a

I was working for a company in the design department and at one of the
meetings, the Chief Design Engineer read out a letter from someone who had
graduated from Uni the previous year. He had the qualifications, the bits of
paper to show what a good boy he was, but no practical experience. He had
written to this company and offered his services free for 6 months in order
that he obtained the hands on experience. " Would you be prepared to work
with him if we took him one?"

Yes.

He came, he fitted in well and after the 6 months he was given the job.

:-))

Any use you writing around the various places which may attract interest and
wher you would like to work?

Good luck

Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Sacha

sahara18/3/04 10:29

Rod wrote in message

I agree with Neil about college courses but the practical stuff lke
plant ident will vary widely between colleges and tutors, that's why I
suggested trying to get work paid or voluntary in good gardens staffed
by pros, they love airing their knowledge, especially if they've got a
receptive audience :~))
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Hello
I have recently been considering horticultural qualifications for a
possible career change. I am very interested in finding voluntary /
paid work in gardens but have no idea how to go about finding such
work. Any suggestions?
thanks
Sarah a

We get quite a few people asking for work here who are doing RHS courses.
My husband's advice is that you ask at smaller nurseries rather than at
large garden centres. That way you should get a shot at doing every kind of
job on a nursery. One of our part time nursery staff also enjoys working in
the garden, so covering all bases.
This is the time of year to ask for work, too. Many nurseries are up to
their eyes potting on and customers are starting to flock in. You won't get
many job offers in a nursery in October. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Philip

(sahara) wrote in message om...
Rod wrote in message

I agree with Neil about college courses but the practical stuff lke
plant ident will vary widely between colleges and tutors, that's why I
suggested trying to get work paid or voluntary in good gardens staffed
by pros, they love airing their knowledge, especially if they've got a
receptive audience :~))
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Hello
I have recently been considering horticultural qualifications for a
possible career change. I am very interested in finding voluntary /
paid work in gardens but have no idea how to go about finding such
work. Any suggestions?
thanks
Sarah a

Sarah

If you are anywhere near Cobham in Surrey, then Painshill Park are
asking for volunteer gardeners, horticulturists to assist the small
full time staff.

Phil
Old 18-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Kay Easton

In article , sahara
writes
Rod wrote in message

I agree with Neil about college courses but the practical stuff lke
plant ident will vary widely between colleges and tutors, that's why I
suggested trying to get work paid or voluntary in good gardens staffed
by pros, they love airing their knowledge, especially if they've got a
receptive audience :~))

Hello
I have recently been considering horticultural qualifications for a
possible career change. I am very interested in finding voluntary /
paid work in gardens but have no idea how to go about finding such
work. Any suggestions?
thanks

National Trust and other charitably-owned gardens often have volunteers.
Also, try your local 'town in bloom' group or 'friends of X park' - they
are usually desperate for volunteers and especially happy to have
someone who knows what they're talking about - they'll want you for your
knowledge as well as for your labour.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: