Old 16-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Horticultural Qualifications

Can anyone recommend horticultural qualifications which can be earned
through home-learning? Our local college does various courses but all
require at least month long work placements which would mean giving up work
for a while - not really an option.

I'm looking for something which covers general gardening techniques -
identification of plants, propagation, pruning etc. ideally something widely
recognised and respected as I'd like eventually to switch careers once the
mortgage is paid off and the kids have gone through school.

Also, how much do they cost and how much time in total would I need to find?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Rod

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:29:02 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend horticultural qualifications which can be earned
through home-learning? Our local college does various courses but all
require at least month long work placements which would mean giving up work
for a while - not really an option.

I'm looking for something which covers general gardening techniques -
identification of plants, propagation, pruning etc. ideally something widely
recognised and respected as I'd like eventually to switch careers once the
mortgage is paid off and the kids have gone through school.

Also, how much do they cost and how much time in total would I need to find?

RHS General is a good start (Well respected, the exams are consistent
and well moderated)it can be done by correspondence course tho' I have
no experience of any of the providers. Our local Land Based college
does the General as evening classes and/or day release. The general is
not a dead end you can continue to higher qualifications if you have
the time and ability. Do try to get some practical work in even if
only as a volunteer - no courses I'm aware of have anywhere close to
sufficient practical content and practical ability is what all
potential employers are looking for and they will want to see it on
the CV. The General can be done in a year - 2 if you have no basic
science as in decent GCSE. The syllabus is very broad in all the areas
you mention - the standard - probably similar to a very good GCSE.
City and Guilds is theoretically very good but in practice the
standard of teaching and assessment is very patchy - Good college,
good tutor, good examiner and it's well worth doing but just seeing it
on the CV without any knowledge of the course I'd be wary. Having said
that; last time I hired anybody the best candidate brought some of her
C&G design work (from Writtle) and it was superb. She slipped through
the net, the estate wouldn't offer her enough pay.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 17-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Martin Sykes

"Rod" wrote in message
news
RHS General is a good start (Well respected, the exams are consistent
and well moderated)it can be done by correspondence course tho' I have
no experience of any of the providers. Our local Land Based college snip

Thanks Rod, I had a look at the RHS site but it wasn't very helpful. I guess
I'll have to email them for more info...

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 17-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Martin Sykes

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
| "Rod" wrote in message
| news | RHS General is a good start (Well respected, the exams are consistent
| and well moderated)it can be done by correspondence course tho' I have
| no experience of any of the providers. Our local Land Based college
snip

| Thanks Rod, I had a look at the RHS site but it wasn't very helpful. I
guess
| I'll have to email them for more info...
|
| --
| Martin & Anna Sykes
| ( Remove x's when replying )

I dug a bit deeper and the RHS links to this site which does the RHS General
Exam as a distance learning course in 10 modules for £340, taking about a
year but you can start at any time. They do two options - 'traditional' or
'green' which has the same syllabus but teaches natural/organic solutions.

http://www.hccollege.co.uk/

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 17-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Neil Jones

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
message ...
"Martin Sykes" wrote in

message
| "Rod" wrote in message
| news | RHS General is a good start (Well respected, the exams are

consistent
| and well moderated)it can be done by correspondence course tho' I

have
| no experience of any of the providers. Our local Land Based

college
snip

| Thanks Rod, I had a look at the RHS site but it wasn't very helpful.

guess
| I'll have to email them for more info...
|
| --
| Martin & Anna Sykes
| ( Remove x's when

replying )

I dug a bit deeper and the RHS links to this site which does the RHS

General
Exam as a distance learning course in 10 modules for £340, taking

about a
year but you can start at any time. They do two options -

'traditional' or
'green' which has the same syllabus but teaches natural/organic

solutions.

http://www.hccollege.co.uk/

I paid less than this to go to my local horticultural college for one
evening a week for 18 months.

I considered the hcc correspondence course, but decided in favour of a
college-based course. I was glad I did because:-

- my plant knowledge improved *hugely* from a weekly identity parade of
20 or so plants (different each week) disussing the merits and uses of
each
- I found the discipline of a weekly 'lesson' much easier than doing
work when I find time - I'm the world's best at finding displacement
activities
- there's the social aspect to consider
- I made several contacts in the trade among fellow students
- we had several field trips gardens including Bedgebury Pinetum,
Sheffield Park, Wisley, etc. all with expert guidance from our tutors
- lots of help on exam technique (although you probably get this from
HCC too)

Your circumstances might not allow you to go to a college based course
but if it is an option, I would strongly recommend doing so.

Of course, I don't know whether I passed or not yet - could be the
crucial factor!

Regards

Neil

Old 18-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Rod

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:01:51 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

I dug a bit deeper and the RHS links to this site which does the RHS General
Exam as a distance learning course in 10 modules for £340, taking about a
year but you can start at any time. They do two options - 'traditional' or
'green' which has the same syllabus but teaches natural/organic solutions.

http://www.hccollege.co.uk/

That sounds a bit steep to me. I'm a bit concerned about them teaching
'green' *or* 'traditional'. I've not seen a very recent syllabus but I
would have expected them to want some familiarity with both. Anyway
it's not generally a simple 'either/or' situation, many people try to
integrate the best of both - using the most effective solutions
consistent with minimal personal and environmental risk.
I agree with Neil about college courses but the practical stuff lke
plant ident will vary widely between colleges and tutors, that's why I
suggested trying to get work paid or voluntary in good gardens staffed
by pros, they love airing their knowledge, especially if they've got a
receptive audience :~))

Old 18-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Mike

Rod I will go along with you 101% on getting some practical experience as
well. During my working life I have been an Instructor. Not in this field of
interest, in telecommunications as it happens, but the Student who came into
the School on a course with the practical experience, shone far more and
progressed far quicker than those with just a 'theoretical' back ground. In
my case, and I would imagine it would/could apply to every field of
learning, when I was talking/demonstrating for example the inside of a
telephone and the alterations which had to be made to suit a particular
application, those 'with' the practical hands on experience, had the cover
off the telephone before those with the theoretical knowledge, could even
find out which screws to undo!!

Later on when I did start up in my own business, I was able to advertise
that I had both the practical and theoretical experience covering 30 odd
years. I stopped working about 4 years ago, but I still get telephone calls
from people wanting work done.

Practical. Practical. Practical.

Scores time and time again.

My two pennyworth for what it is worth!!

Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Martin Sykes

"Mike" wrote in message
Rod I will go along with you 101% on getting some practical experience as
well. During my working life I have been an Instructor. Not in this field

of

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately my circumstances mean I don't know
where I'm going to be during the week for most of the time so regularly
attending a college is impossible ( I'm an IT consultant working around the
country) and that also means my weekends are very busy. However, I do get a
lot of free time during the evenings during the week when I'm stuck in hotel
rooms so a correspondence course would be ideal.

I do understand about getting lots of practical experience but I'll just
have to find that when I can rather than rely on the course to supply it.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )