Old 19-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Sacha

Default Blue daisy like flower?

Cereus-validus19/3/04 8:22

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , MallowKat
writes
My mother has seen a blue daisy like flower with a greeny yellow centre

growing
a few inches tall in Yorkshire. Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Anemone blanda?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

(top posting changed)
Oh ye of little knowledge.

Try Felicia bergeriana.

In March? In Yorkshire? Please - tell me you're not a garden designer.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 19-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:08:59 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , MallowKat
writes
My mother has seen a blue daisy like flower with a greeny yellow centre growing
a few inches tall in Yorkshire. Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Anemone blanda?

Considering the time of year, that's a good possibility. It might
be A nemorosa or A appenina, though the latter is rather rare in
gardens.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 20-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Cereus-validus

Tell that to all the exhibitors at the flower shows.

Insults are free for the taking.
If they stick on you, that's your fault.
Especially if you have the hubris to think you think you are such a psychic
garden expert.

With fiends like you, who needs bland anemones?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Cereus-
validus writes
Oh ye of little knowledge.

Try Felicia bergeriana.

Felicia bergeriana is extremely unlikely to be in flower atm.

Anemone blanda is in flower, is widely planted, and to a non-gardener,
non-botanist looks extremely daisy like. The fact the OP goes on to say
that the unidentified plant has 'anemone like leaves' is a further
suggestion that it is Anemone blanda.

Please be less free with your insults.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 20-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello All

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Cereus-
validus writes
Oh ye of little knowledge.

Try Felicia bergeriana.

Felicia bergeriana is extremely unlikely to be in flower atm.

Anemone blanda is in flower, is widely planted, and to a non-gardener,
non-botanist looks extremely daisy like. The fact the OP goes on to say
that the unidentified plant has 'anemone like leaves' is a further
suggestion that it is Anemone blanda.

Please be less free with your insults.

Calm down folks. There is another less common possibility, and that is
Hepatica trannilvanica. This is flowering nicely in my garden at the moment.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England
Old 20-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Sacha
writes

In March? In Yorkshire? Please - tell me you're not a garden designer.

Shim's a troll !
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 20-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes

Please be less free with your insults.

Kay, read this shim's offerings to the various crossposted groups that
shim has replied to.
Shim is a troll
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 20-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:07:59 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

But Pam, you're in Bristol! The original question came from someone in
Yorkshire. You are in the west country - they are not.

Reprimand accepted!
I must read more carefully.
I've never had felicia last this long before, and we have had some
quite heavy frosts.

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Sacha

Pam Moore20/3/04 11:43

wrote:

But Pam, you're in Bristol! The original question came from someone in
Yorkshire. You are in the west country - they are not.

Reprimand accepted!

Well, it wasn't meant to be a reprimand, more of a heads up to all of us, me
included. I've been guilty of many such sins, I'm sure, e.g. recommending
Escallonia for hedging to people who couldn't hope to keep it, or so I'm
told! Virtually all my gardening life has been in the Channel Islands or
Devonshire, so my experience of climate is narrow and I have to remember
that!

I must read more carefully.
I've never had felicia last this long before, and we have had some
quite heavy frosts.

I've kept several things that are supposed to die at the first hint of a
breath of frost, through winters in Jersey but IME, such plants succumb if
there's prolonged frost, rather than frost that goes off quite quickly
during the day, if you see what I mean. For example I had Tibouchina and
Polygala and Leonotis in one garden for a few years until we had a very
unusual 3 or 4 days of continuous frost which finished them off.
We tried leaving a Polygala outside last year and it was killed off while
Leonotis survived.
I'll try to remember to leave some Felicia out this year to over winter and
see if it survives because we do like to experiment with things.
When I first moved to Devon, David Poole very kindly gave me a few choice
things for my garden, though acknowledging I was his 'experiment'! He lives
in Torquay and has a walled garden, I lived only 3 or 4 miles away back
then but I was in a frost pocket and a lot of what he gave me was wiped out
in one winter. It was interesting, if sad.
We've had some sharp frosts but only one day when the ice on the fish pond
didn't melt entirely. I think that day was down to -5 or -6. We were
worried about a few things but so far, so good. The Grevillea rosmarifolia
which some think tender is flowering its socks off now but I must remember
to inspect the Cytisus battandieri!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Cereus-validus

The only person who matters in this thread is the original poster asking the
question and that is Mallowkat.

The irrelevant lame guesses from the rest of you, especially egomaniacal
know-it-all Kay Easton, don't mean a thing. I wouldn't bet money on any of
you biddies being correct.

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Pam Moore20/3/04 11:43

Old 20-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

We've had some sharp frosts but only one day when the ice on the fish pond
didn't melt entirely.

!!!

We've had whole weeks when the ice on the fish pond didn't melt at all!
(and I do mean this winter)

When we were up in Northumbria a couple of weeks back, the river was
freezing every night, and had sheets of ice drifting slowly down it all
day.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Feb21-B - Blue Daisy-20080578-Edit.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 22-02-2008 01:09 PM
Daisy and Bee - daisy-and-bee.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 7 31-07-2007 02:29 AM
Blue Daisy Padraig Garden Photos 1 06-05-2007 10:07 AM
Can anyone identify this shrub/tree? Cypress-like leaves, yellow daisy flowers. Cynthia Snowden United Kingdom 2 05-03-2003 03:11 PM