Old 21-03-2004, 05:27 PM
SH

Default Cuttings

I take cuttings of anything that grows in the greenhouse and put them in my
electric propagator.
I'll try anything including plants for hanging baskets bought from the
nursery in individual pots (65p each).
Usually I am successful - in fact 2 years ago when my tomato's got stretched
I took cuttings off the top which produced some nice strong short jointed
plants.
Is there anything that doesn't work??

S :-)

Old 21-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Rod

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:00:53 -0000, "SH" wrote:

I take cuttings of anything that grows in the greenhouse and put them in my
electric propagator.
I'll try anything including plants for hanging baskets bought from the
nursery in individual pots (65p each).
Usually I am successful - in fact 2 years ago when my tomato's got stretched
I took cuttings off the top which produced some nice strong short jointed
plants.
Is there anything that doesn't work??

S :-)

The ones that died!

In theory no :-)
The theory goes that pretty well anything will root if you can keep it
alive and healthy for long enough without decay and moulds etc getting
hold. The things that don't work or are known to be 'difficult' are
the ones that take a long time. This is where the art/science of the
propagator kicks in. You need to know and provide the conditions
needed to induce quick rooting in these difficult plants. You also
need to be able to recognise at an early stage that things aren't
going to plan and tweak the conditions accordingly - the horticultural
equivalent of 'stockmanship'

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 21-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"SH" wrote in message
I take cuttings of anything that grows in the greenhouse

and put them in my
electric propagator.
I'll try anything including plants for hanging baskets

bought from the
nursery in individual pots (65p each).
Usually I am successful - in fact 2 years ago when my

tomato's got stretched
I took cuttings off the top which produced some nice

strong short jointed
plants.
Is there anything that doesn't work??

Berberis temolaica. Folks have been trying hard for decades
to get it to root from cuttings. Last time I enquired,
no-one had had any success yet.

Franz

Old 21-03-2004, 10:41 PM
David Hill

"..........2 years ago when my tomato's got stretched I took cuttings off
the top which produced some nice strong short jointed plants. .........."

I have used this method in the past when short of tomato plants, but used
the side shoots.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-03-2004, 05:31 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"..........2 years ago when my tomato's got stretched I took cuttings off
the top which produced some nice strong short jointed plants. .........."

I have used this method in the past when short of tomato plants, but used
the side shoots.

One year I dug some side shoots into the eyes of potatoes after removing
their shoots, and the tomatoes did OK, but the crop of spuds was poor.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Raymond RUSSELL

Hello S et al

I've been thinking about investing in an electric propagator.
Any recommendations ?

Best regards from Ray

Old 22-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Raymond RUSSELL" contains these words:

Hello S et al

I've been thinking about investing in an electric propagator.
Any recommendations ?

I made one from an old window frame, a glass fibre pan, thermostat and
an electric blanket. (And turned a cold frame into a mildly warm frame
with something similar.)

Old 22-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Philip

Hello S et al

I've been thinking about investing in an electric propagator.
Any recommendations ?

Cheap is not the way to go. I have a cheap one which gets too warm in
some places and not warm at all in others. I have read that a layer
of vermiculite may help to even out the temperature differences.

I am also wondering if there is a propagator with a thermostat.

Although my propagator has its limitations I am reasonably pleased
with it, but glad I did not pay full price.
Old 22-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Philip

Hello S et al

I've been thinking about investing in an electric propagator.
Any recommendations ?

Cheap is not the way to go. I have a cheap one which gets too warm in
some places and not warm at all in others. I have read that a layer
of vermiculite may help to even out the temperature differences.

I am also wondering if there is a propagator with a thermostat.

Although my propagator has its limitations I am reasonably pleased
with it, but glad I did not pay full price.

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
[IBC] Suckers as cuttings Neal Ross Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
succulent cuttings Iris Cohen Gardening 1 10-02-2003 09:25 AM
cactus cuttings flavrcntry Gardening 2 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cuttings, and trading roses Suzanne in CA Roses 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM