Old 24-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Mervyn Thomas

Default Growing mint from cuttings

Best done from root cuttings - just put some roots in compost.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Janet Baraclough.. wrote or quoted:
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.

Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.

I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
faster than they take up fresh water.

Did you cut the ends of the stems before you put them in water?

I did.

I suspect there may also bo some mystical art of slicing bits from
the side - which I haven't mastered yet.

I may persevere with my science experiments.

I may wait until next time I see my Gran - and steal some of her mint.

Or I might try a garden centre.
--
__________

Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler wrote or quoted:

I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.

Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.

I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
faster than they take up fresh water.

I have some rooting powder - but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

My cuttings came from a local fruit shop. Though they look fresh
enough, it seems /possible/ that they are too far gone by the time
they reach me. It does seem like a good strain of mint, though ;-)

I am happy to report I seem to be having mint success!

My cuttings are now finally taking root ;-)

There is an inch of white root growing from one specimin - and I
now anticipate eventual success.

It now seems that all they needed was to be left in water to get on with
it for long enough.

I also bought a pot of fresh mint, and that is also doing well - but
I am looking forward to having clones of this particular strain available.
--
__________

Old 27-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Alan Holmes

I tried to contact this fellow but does his email address work, not
Pygmalion likely!

Alan

Old 28-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Tim Tyler

Alan Holmes wrote or quoted:

I tried to contact this fellow but does his email address work, not
Pygmalion likely!

Alan

"Tim Tyler" wrote [...]:

If you are referring to me, for success you will need to follow the
instructions in my signature if you want to mail me.

If these cause you problems, then you can visit:

http://timtyler.org/contact/

FWIW, I'm still having a good deal of fun with mint family cuttings.

I've gone from having a definite shortage of quality mints available,
to being swamped with novel mint variants from cuttings which I've
nicked from my friends' gardens ;-)
--
__________
Old 28-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:16:20 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

FWIW, I'm still having a good deal of fun with mint family cuttings.

I've gone from having a definite shortage of quality mints available,
to being swamped with novel mint variants from cuttings which I've
nicked from my friends' gardens ;-)

Mint spreads by underground runners. Or rather, just-below-ground
thick root-looking things. I just pulled up a stray plant that was
growing on top of a neglected sidewalk/pavement with a shallow layer
of 'topsoil', potted it up, and watered it. It's only been 2 days, but
it looks quite happy and healthy. It's a gift for a friend.
Old 28-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Will

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:00:28 GMT, I found this from Frogleg
:

It's a gift for a friend.

I introduced it into my garden which is bounded on two sides by an
unmanaged field...the field now has the healthiest crop of mint ever
seen.

I do love mint sauce.
Old 28-05-2004, 04:22 PM
good golly miss Molly

"Will" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:00:28 GMT, I found this from Frogleg
:

It's a gift for a friend.

I introduced it into my garden which is bounded on two sides by an
unmanaged field...the field now has the healthiest crop of mint ever
seen.

I do love mint sauce.

And I love mint plants. I plant them in soil near to pathways so that it
smells nice when stepped on. I have spearmint, pineapple mint, black mint,
apple mint and ordinary mint.

Old 28-05-2004, 05:09 PM
cpemma

Frogleg wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:16:20 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

FWIW, I'm still having a good deal of fun with mint family cuttings.

I've gone from having a definite shortage of quality mints available,
to being swamped with novel mint variants from cuttings which I've
nicked from my friends' gardens ;-)

Mint spreads by underground runners. Or rather, just-below-ground
thick root-looking things. I just pulled up a stray plant that was
growing on top of a neglected sidewalk/pavement with a shallow layer
of 'topsoil', potted it up, and watered it. It's only been 2 days, but
it looks quite happy and healthy. It's a gift for a friend.

It's supposed to be better to propogate from root cuttings, they don't carry
the "rust" virus that often attacks the above-ground parts. And it's very
easy as you've found.
--
email address is a black hole. Change cpemma to cpm.

Old 28-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , cpemma
writes
Frogleg wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:16:20 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

FWIW, I'm still having a good deal of fun with mint family cuttings.

I've gone from having a definite shortage of quality mints available,
to being swamped with novel mint variants from cuttings which I've
nicked from my friends' gardens ;-)

Mint spreads by underground runners. Or rather, just-below-ground
thick root-looking things. I just pulled up a stray plant that was
growing on top of a neglected sidewalk/pavement with a shallow layer
of 'topsoil', potted it up, and watered it. It's only been 2 days, but
it looks quite happy and healthy. It's a gift for a friend.

It's supposed to be better to propogate from root cuttings, they don't carry
the "rust" virus that often attacks the above-ground parts. And it's very
easy as you've found.

I always thought it was a fungus.
Surely if it was a virus it would be in the roots too?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , good golly
miss Molly wrote:

I have spearmint, pineapple mint, black mint,
apple mint and ordinary mint.

Don't forget Moroccan, for those glasses of mint tea. Nothing else will
do.

Remover the rock from the email address
Old 28-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Tim Tyler

Kay Easton wrote or quoted:
In article , cpemma

It's supposed to be better to propogate from root cuttings, they don't carry
the "rust" virus that often attacks the above-ground parts. And it's very
easy as you've found.

I always thought it was a fungus.
Surely if it was a virus it would be in the roots too?

Looks like it can get into the roots, despite being a fungal infection:

``The disease may not infect all the rhizomes, so propagation from some
pieces, especially the youngest, may yield disease-free plants.''

- http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1100/mint_rust.asp
--
__________
Old 29-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Rod

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:31:29 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Looks like it can get into the roots, despite being a fungal infection:

``The disease may not infect all the rhizomes, so propagation from some
pieces, especially the youngest, may yield disease-free plants.''

- http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1100/mint_rust.asp

I've used the warm water treatment suggested in the RHS link - seems
to work, but just using young bits of rhizome is normally all that's
required.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 29-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Rod

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:03:24 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

I always thought it was a fungus.
Surely if it was a virus it would be in the roots too?

It is a fungus, many folks either don't know what a virus is, or are
using the word as a catch all for any pathogen. Worst offenders are
some journalists who should have listened at school - they're
spreading the virus through their writings.