Old 22-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Growing mint from cuttings

I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.

Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.

I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
faster than they take up fresh water.

I have some rooting powder - but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

My cuttings came from a local fruit shop. Though they look fresh
enough, it seems /possible/ that they are too far gone by the time
they reach me. It does seem like a good strain of mint, though ;-)

Any advice?
--
__________
Old 22-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Tim Tyler writes:
| I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.
|
| Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.
|
| I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
| faster than they take up fresh water.
|
| I have some rooting powder - but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
|
| My cuttings came from a local fruit shop. Though they look fresh
| enough, it seems /possible/ that they are too far gone by the time
| they reach me. It does seem like a good strain of mint, though ;-)

Mint grows readily if the cutting includes even a small amount of
the 'underground' stem (i.e. the bit that grows roots). Without
that, it probably won't be easy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:43:42 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.

Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.

I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
faster than they take up fresh water.

I acquired, by mail order, some "special" mint which arrived at the
end of last year. I decided to keep it inside for the winter. It
sprouted well and got leggy so I cut it back, and put the cuttings in
water. They rooted very quickly and I potted them up. I later cut
those back and now have the 3td lot already rooted in water.

Maybe the super market or fruit shop ones react sifferently. In
principle they should behave the same.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.

Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.

I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
faster than they take up fresh water.

Did you cut the ends of the stems before you put them in water? The
stem ends tend to dry up and seal themselves when they've been in a
supermarket package for a couple of days.

Janet

Old 22-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Colette A. O'Brien

In message of Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Nick Maclaren writes
Mint grows readily if the cutting includes even a small amount of
the 'underground' stem (i.e. the bit that grows roots). Without
that, it probably won't be easy.

Mint is easiest to propagate from the root (or underground stem or
whatever it is called). It is very easy to grow new plants like this.

Just take a long strip of root, and cut into small pieces. Each piece
should have a little node on it and will probably be about half-an-inch
or so long. Place one or two pieces into small pots with moist compost.
They don't take long to root and you should have fine plants by the
summer.

If you don't have an existing plant, ask for some roots off someone who
does. It won't do the existing plant any harm - the roots are usually
rampant and plentiful. Just rip a handful off - that's what I do every
spring to supply friends with mint plants.
--
Rgds
Colette

Old 24-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Tim Tyler

Janet Baraclough.. wrote or quoted:
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

I'm trying to grow some mint from cuttings.

Mint is /supposed/ to root easily - but I'm having some problems.

I've tried putting the cuttings in water, but find that they wilt
faster than they take up fresh water.

Did you cut the ends of the stems before you put them in water?

I did.

I suspect there may also bo some mystical art of slicing bits from
the side - which I haven't mastered yet.

I may persevere with my science experiments.

I may wait until next time I see my Gran - and steal some of her mint.

Or I might try a garden centre.
--