Old 23-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Tea Leaves Down Sink Or Compost / Garden ?

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:51:16 -0000, Martin wrote:

Even cold tea has its uses. My Iris winogradowii has never grown
as well as when I would rush outside first thing every morning,
teapot in hand, and pour yesterday's cold tea on it.

Why did you rush if the tea was cold?

Mary

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 23-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
| On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:51:16 -0000, Martin wrote:
|
| Even cold tea has its uses. My Iris winogradowii has never grown
| as well as when I would rush outside first thing every morning,
| teapot in hand, and pour yesterday's cold tea on it.
|
| Why did you rush if the tea was cold?

It was also cold outside? And, perhaps, being first thing in the
morning, he wasn't wearing much?

I certainly did the same at one time, and I didn't hang around
when I was stark naked and it was below freezing outside :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 23-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:13:15 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Even cold tea has its uses. My Iris winogradowii has never grown
as well as when I would rush outside first thing every morning,
teapot in hand, and pour yesterday's cold tea on it.

Why did you rush if the tea was cold?

Because the morning was cold?

Old 23-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Sacha

Tim Challenger23/3/04 9:22
am"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"abaa42d025 fbb4be1cc5b46ef0b527c0@new
s.teranews.com

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:13:15 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Even cold tea has its uses. My Iris winogradowii has never grown
as well as when I would rush outside first thing every morning,
teapot in hand, and pour yesterday's cold tea on it.

Why did you rush if the tea was cold?

Because the morning was cold?

Because he was in a hurry to get to work?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 23-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:51:16 -0000, Martin wrote:

Even cold tea has its uses. My Iris winogradowii has never grown
as well as when I would rush outside first thing every morning,
teapot in hand, and pour yesterday's cold tea on it.

Why did you rush if the tea was cold?

Hell, Mary, any dedicated tea-drinker will know the answer to that!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 23-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:51:16 -0000, "Martin"
wrote:

The reason I have posted this to the gardening group is my Mother is a keen
gardener and if I can convince her to use the tea leaves for compost heap or
garden she will use them for this purpose but says she will still put some
down sink to clear it !

Any thoughts on suitability for using tea leaves in garden etc or for
clearing sink drain ?

Good for plants/compost; bad for drains.

I wonder *how* your mother believes tea leaves 'clear' a drain. And of
what. Obviously it can't be the wet leafiness, or she'd be throwing
down celery tops and spinach. If it's supposed to be some chemical
action, would tea be safe to drink? I don't fancy drinking dilute
drain-cleaner.
Old 23-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Frogleg writes:

| I wonder *how* your mother believes tea leaves 'clear' a drain. And of
| what. Obviously it can't be the wet leafiness, or she'd be throwing
| down celery tops and spinach. If it's supposed to be some chemical
| action, would tea be safe to drink? I don't fancy drinking dilute
| drain-cleaner.

Your stomach contains some quite strong drain cleaner, unless you
are on proton pump inhibitors - hydrochloric acid is used in a
similar strength for industrial drain-cleaning.

But you didn't want to know that ....

Tannin is a very effective bacteriostat, but I doubt that it would
do more than reduce smells. My guess is that putting tea leaves
down kitchen sinks DOES help with stopping them smelling, which
may be the source of her belief.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2004, 04:08 PM