Old 23-03-2004, 01:08 AM
p.mc

Default Pieris

Being a novice I bought two young potted shrubs "Pieris" ( Flaming Silver
and Forest Flame ) But I have Alkeline soil and they like Acid,
would it be a disaster to plant them in my garden or would it be best to
plant them in tubs with the right soil conditions or can I bury the tubs in
the spot I choose.
I know I could return the plants but I do like them.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Old 23-03-2004, 03:25 PM
jane

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:33:11 -0000, "p.mc"
p.mc@Idon'tknowwhyIbothermungingmyaddress'causeIs tillgettonsofshiteanyway.co.uk
wrote:

~Being a novice I bought two young potted shrubs "Pieris" ( Flaming Silver
~and Forest Flame ) But I have Alkeline soil and they like Acid,
~would it be a disaster to plant them in my garden or would it be best to
~plant them in tubs with the right soil conditions or can I bury the tubs in
~the spot I choose.
~I know I could return the plants but I do like them.
~

When I moved into my house, I found the previous owner had cluelessly
added shrubs at random to pretty up the garden. I had to rescue nearly
all of them as they were, almost without exception, lime haters, and
the topsoil is 6" above solid chalk...

Pieris grows fantastically in a tub of ericaceous compost. Remember to
water with rainwater :-) If you haven't a water butt, they're not
that expensive and if this summer's threatened water shortage happens,
you'll be laughing. I reckon a new butt will fill up very quickly at
the moment.

The other nice thing about growing them in tubs is that you can move
them to centre stage when they are in full bloom/new leaf phase, then
hide them for the summer.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Franz Heymann

sofshiteanyway.co.uk wrote in message
Being a novice I bought two young potted shrubs "Pieris"

( Flaming Silver
and Forest Flame ) But I have Alkeline soil and they like

Acid,
would it be a disaster to plant them in my garden or would

it be best to
plant them in tubs with the right soil conditions or can I

bury the tubs in
the spot I choose.
I know I could return the plants but I do like them.

Since they are reasonably slow growing, you could plant them
in pots, using ericaceous compost.

Franz

Old 23-03-2004, 04:47 PM
p.mc

Thanks Jane, I do have a water butt and was about to water the plants with
tap water so that was a good tip for me.
Another part of my original question was could I plant my shrubs in tubs in
the ground with as Jane said Ericaceous compost or would the surrounding
Alkaline soil change the balance over time.

Many thanks

Old 23-03-2004, 04:47 PM
p.mc

wrote:

[...]

[IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 09-03-2004 02:41 AM
[IBC] Pieris japonica Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 16-01-2004 11:12 PM
Pieris Janice United Kingdom 10 24-10-2003 06:13 PM
Pieris japonica leaves going yellow - problem? TobyB United Kingdom 1 02-05-2003 08:33 PM
Pieris Forest Flame looking sad Mon United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 07:16 PM