Old 23-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Thos

Default Chilli's

Last year I planted some seeds that I had saved from the previous year in a
tray, they duly came up and grew into very good producers which I passed on
to friends.
I saved seeds last year and have plated in in a heated tray about a week
ago. I don't see any sign of growth yet.
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong, are the seed fertile?
Any pointers would be appreciated
THANX

Old 23-03-2004, 05:36 PM
shazzbat

"Thos" wrote in message
Last year I planted some seeds that I had saved from the previous year in

tray, they duly came up and grew into very good producers which I passed

on
to friends.
I saved seeds last year and have plated in in a heated tray about a week
ago. I don't see any sign of growth yet.
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong, are the seed fertile?
Any pointers would be appreciated
THANX

Where have you saved these seeds from? If they are from the previous batch
of saved seeds, they might be getting a bit old now. On the other hand if
they came from supermarket chillies, who knows what might have been done to
them. Irradiation, whatever.

I also don't think they need a heated propagator. Mine have done all right
in the unheated greenhouse. A week might be a bit impatient, although I
can't say I've checked how long mine took, I've been so busy I just deal
with what wants dealing with and anything not showing yet gives me a
breather.

Steve

Old 24-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Dan Keeley

"Thos" wrote in message
Last year I planted some seeds that I had saved from the previous year in

tray, they duly came up and grew into very good producers which I passed

on
to friends.
I saved seeds last year and have plated in in a heated tray about a week
ago. I don't see any sign of growth yet.
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong, are the seed fertile?
Any pointers would be appreciated
THANX

I'd agree with the other post so far - a week isnt really long enough to be
sure they're not going to come up...

My packet bell pepper seeds took 3 weeks to do anything in a propagator!!
But they're going well now!

Rgds,
Dan

Old 24-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Thos" contains these words:

Last year I planted some seeds that I had saved from the previous year in a
tray, they duly came up and grew into very good producers which I passed on
to friends.
I saved seeds last year and have plated in in a heated tray about a week
ago. I don't see any sign of growth yet.
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong, are the seed fertile?
Any pointers would be appreciated

Patience.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:12:04 -0000, Thos wrote:

Last year I planted some seeds that I had saved from the previous year in a
tray, they duly came up and grew into very good producers which I passed on
to friends.
I saved seeds last year and have plated in in a heated tray about a week
ago. I don't see any sign of growth yet.
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong, are the seed fertile?
Any pointers would be appreciated
THANX

I agree with the others. Wait. A week is pretty fast for chillies. I often
soak them in water overnight then keep them in damp kitchen-paper in a
plastic bag until some start to show signs of germination. Then I can sow
them. This often helps if you're in a hurry. Plus you get an idea of how
viable the seeds are.

--
Tim C.

Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Chilli Seeds Charlie United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Ancient chilli peppers Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 25-01-2003 05:19 PM
last year's chilli plants H United Kingdom 1 08-01-2003 01:29 PM