Old 24-03-2004, 05:50 PM
James Fidell

Default Anyone identify this plant?

Not a great time of year for doing this, but just the way it works out...

In the middle of my new veg/fruit garden (which has been an overgrown
veg/fruit garden for quite some time) are a number of plants like this:

http://photos.fidell.co.uk/Pittisford/2004032303.jpg

It's in bud at the moment and one or two leaves are just starting to
open. They look like they might be similar to raspberry leaves, but
until they unfurl I can't be sure. Most of the stems are a burgundy
red colour, with some of the older (possibly dead) wood turning pale
brown. There's nothing in the vicinity of the plot that looks similar,
so I assume these were deliberately planted at some point in the past
rather than self-seeding and are therefore likely to be some sort of
fruit-bearing bush.

The area is full of nettles, docks, thistles, brambles and all sorts
of other unpleasantness that I'm slowly digging out (and it's very
hard work , so if these plants aren't going to be useful to me I'll
dig them up to make sure I get anything lurking around them. If they
do produce fruit though, I'll do the best I can this year and transplant
them at the end of the year, or take cuttings to plant out next year if
that is possible.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what they might be, or do I need to
wait a bit longer until they get into leaf properly?

James
Old 24-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Emrys Davies

'James',

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

.. .

Old 24-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Chris Stewart

[...]

Hi James, from the stems I suspect its a Dogwood - Cornus Alba possibly?
Have a google for an image and see if it matches what you've got.
Chris S

Old 24-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Emrys Davies

'James',

A 'photo of it:

http://tinyurl.com/1tl7

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Emrys Davies

'James',

Careful pruning of dogwood is quite important. This site is a good
guide.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/...g%20Cornus.htm

Old 24-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from James Fidell contains these words:

Not a great time of year for doing this, but just the way it works out...

In the middle of my new veg/fruit garden (which has been an overgrown
veg/fruit garden for quite some time) are a number of plants like this:

http://photos.fidell.co.uk/Pittisford/2004032303.jpg

Hmmmm. Not a lot of idea, though they could be some form of thornless
berry - logan, Tay, Boysen etc.

It's in bud at the moment and one or two leaves are just starting to
open. They look like they might be similar to raspberry leaves, but
until they unfurl I can't be sure. Most of the stems are a burgundy
red colour, with some of the older (possibly dead) wood turning pale
brown. There's nothing in the vicinity of the plot that looks similar,
so I assume these were deliberately planted at some point in the past
rather than self-seeding and are therefore likely to be some sort of
fruit-bearing bush.

I'd give them a try - they look like a blackberry-type of plant. Pity
you cut the ends off.

The area is full of nettles, docks, thistles, brambles and all sorts
of other unpleasantness that I'm slowly digging out (and it's very
hard work , so if these plants aren't going to be useful to me I'll
dig them up to make sure I get anything lurking around them. If they
do produce fruit though, I'll do the best I can this year and transplant
them at the end of the year, or take cuttings to plant out next year if
that is possible.

Well, forget cuttings. Unless you have some you haven't cut back, forget
this year. Most of the long trailing canes root at the ends. They loop
up, over and down, and the end of the cane expands into a club shape and
roots magically appear.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what they might be, or do I need to
wait a bit longer until they get into leaf properly?

Someone is almost sure to know.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-03-2004, 05:52 PM
James Fidell

In article , Emrys Davies
wrote:

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

I guess in that case it must have self-seeded somehow. I'd thought it
might be a dogwood, but discarded the idea because there's so much of it
and it seems an odd thing to deliberately plant in a fruit/veg garden.
I guess it only takes one successful plant to have produced all the
others though.

Thanks for your help.

I'm in a quandary now I like the red (and yellow) dogwoods. I might
have to plant around them this year and do my best to keep the weeds
from spreading and see if I can transplant them somewhere more suitable
at the end of the year.

James
Old 24-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Emery Davis

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:32:12 -0000, "Chris Stewart" said:

]
] "James Fidell" wrote in message
] .. .
][]
] It's in bud at the moment and one or two leaves are just starting to
] open. They look like they might be similar to raspberry leaves, but
] until they unfurl I can't be sure. Most of the stems are a burgundy
] red colour, with some of the older (possibly dead) wood turning pale
] brown. There's nothing in the vicinity of the plot that looks similar,
] so I assume these were deliberately planted at some point in the past
] rather than self-seeding and are therefore likely to be some sort of
] fruit-bearing bush.
][]
] Hi James, from the stems I suspect its a Dogwood - Cornus Alba possibly?
] Have a google for an image and see if it matches what you've got.
] Chris S
]
]

Yep, looks just like a Cornus Alba. They lose the nice red color of the
stems if not pruned, going a bit light brown. Looks rather like the one
outside my wall just now.

Prune old stems back to ground, it grows like gangbusters.

-E

P.S. No relation to a similarly named (but much senior urger) also in this
thread.

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 24-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

That's what i thought at first, but a close look suggested Rubus.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
James Fidell wrote:
In article , Emrys Davies
wrote:

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

I guess in that case it must have self-seeded somehow. I'd thought it
might be a dogwood, but discarded the idea because there's so much of it
and it seems an odd thing to deliberately plant in a fruit/veg garden.
I guess it only takes one successful plant to have produced all the
others though.

While I think that it is a dogwood, that is conditional on it having
smooth stems. If it has bristly/spiny ones (minor spines only), then
my bet is Japanese wineberry, Rubus Phoeniculatus (or thereabouts).
Treat exactly like a blackberry or logan, and eat the fruits raw;
they are hopeless cooked, but do freeze successfully.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:
|
| It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.
|
| http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html
|
| That's what i thought at first, but a close look suggested Rubus.

If so, almost certainly Rubus phoenicolasius.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 24-03-2004, 07:05 PM
James Fidell

In article , Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
James Fidell wrote:
In article , Emrys Davies
wrote:

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

I guess in that case it must have self-seeded somehow. I'd thought it
might be a dogwood, but discarded the idea because there's so much of it
and it seems an odd thing to deliberately plant in a fruit/veg garden.
I guess it only takes one successful plant to have produced all the
others though.

While I think that it is a dogwood, that is conditional on it having
smooth stems. If it has bristly/spiny ones (minor spines only), then
my bet is Japanese wineberry, Rubus Phoeniculatus (or thereabouts).
Treat exactly like a blackberry or logan, and eat the fruits raw;
they are hopeless cooked, but do freeze successfully.

The stems definitely look smooth to me. What doesn't seem right for
a dogwood is that the ones I've seen have stems that fork, rather like
an enormous pepper plant. These don't appear have side-shoots at all.

James