Old 24-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Kate Morgan

Default out of frying pan and into fire?

I have 8ft.high stone walls on two sides of the garden, up till a few
weeks ago they were both covered in ivy, I have left one covered cos it
suits the area but am thinking about planting a climbing hydrangea on
the other, are they as robust as ivy and will I regret it in a few years
time? advice would be appreciated:-)
kate
Old 24-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Bob

They are deciduous, so you'll be faced with a bunch of bare twigs in winter.
They also tend to grow outwards from the wall quite some distance - so it
will be more like having a big shrub growing in front of the wall than a
thin coating of ivy.

Mal

Old 24-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Kate Morgan

snipI'm not sure if anything is as robust as ivy! But I don't think
you'll
regret your Hydrangea.
I think they're wonderful but my own experience of them is that they take a
time to get going. It's important to plant it about 2' out from the wall and
leaning towards it, so that the plant is out of any rain shadow and gets
watered by nature. But you have to remember to take over from nature in dry
weather.

thank you both for your interest, I think I will have a go they sound
rather good :-)
kate

Old 25-03-2004, 04:43 PM
sahara

Sacha

They are. So - be patient; plant the roots at least two feet out from the
wall and be prepared to water in dry weather. You will have a lovely plant
that enhances your garden.

Hello
I really like the look of climbing hydrangeas and couldnt resist
getting a very small but cheap plant from woolies round the corner
from me. My question is can you grow them in a pot without a wall? I
only hear of them as being grown up shady walls. And my problem is i
dont have any walls! My thin terrace garden is just surrounded by
wobbly wire fencing.
I am thinking that if i can keep it in a pot maybe by the time i move
to a house with a walled gardens it will be big enough to plant.
sarah a
Old 26-03-2004, 03:12 PM
sahara

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...

It might grow a bit quicker than you can save up.......

Try growing it up the back of the house?

Although i do have a small wall at the back of the house it is right
next to the access path and then after that comes the garden. I dont
think the neighbours would like it if i dug up the path and planted a
hydrangea.
hmm.

i think i will leave it in a biggish pot and see how it fares.