Old 28-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Rod

Default Fast growing SMALL tree?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:12:47 +0000, Rosie wrote:

Rod wrote about the amelanchier:

Nice one - well drained acid soil needed with preferably a bit of shelter
from cold winds.

Now you mention it, I have kind of compacted soil which gets pretty wet as
my water butt near it is always leaking.

Shame because I liked that idea!

ROSIE

Any chance of improving the soil? - open it up a bit with good garden
compost and a good sharp grit.Drainage? It will like it reliably moist but
not waterlogged so just try to arrange for excess water to drain away.
Another thing to bear in mind tho'. Amelanchier is one of my favourite
small trees but the bad news is it doesn't stay in flower for very long.
That heightens the pleasure for me but might not do it for everybody.

Rod
Old 28-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:17:06 +0000, Rod wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:05:52 +0000, Robert wrote:

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TM...elanchier.html

Nice one - well drained acid soil needed with preferably a bit of shelter
from cold winds.

A "cold wind" in Ohio is very different from a "cold wind" in the
British Isles. Anyone disputing this concept will be sent to
Toledo for the winter.

Also take heart in the fact that Amelanchier alnifolia grows in
the Canajun prairie provinces.

Nice plant: good flowers in spring and edible fruit in
summer/fall.

cooking "service berries" or "saskatoons", as they are known:
pies. There are culinary cultivars.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 28-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from lid (Rodger Whitlock) contains these words:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:17:06 +0000, Rod wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:05:52 +0000, Robert wrote:

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TM...elanchier.html

Nice one - well drained acid soil needed with preferably a bit of shelter
from cold winds.

A "cold wind" in Ohio is very different from a "cold wind" in the
British Isles. Anyone disputing this concept will be sent to
Toledo for the winter.

Also take heart in the fact that Amelanchier alnifolia grows in
the Canajun prairie provinces.

Perhaps because our winters are milder than at home, amelanchier tends
to open leaves and buds rather earlier than is sensible, before we're
done with late frosts and chilly blasts which can shrivel plants in an
exposed location. Late nips certainly don't affect amelanchier's
survival but IME, can frizzle the flowerbuds.

Janet.
Old 28-03-2004, 10:35 PM
David Hill

"........ A "cold wind" in Ohio is very different from a "cold wind" in the
British Isles. Anyone disputing this concept will be sent to Toledo for the
winter ......."

Fare paid?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Peter Crosland

British Isles. Anyone disputing this concept will be sent to Toledo for
the
winter ......."

Fare paid?

Do you really want to spend the winter in Northern Ohio?

Old 29-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:

British Isles. Anyone disputing this concept will be sent to Toledo for

the
winter ......."

Fare paid?

Do you really want to spend the winter in Northern Ohio?

I wouldn't mind. When I had a regular job where you had to book holidays
I always opted for some time in January, and went hiking and camping in
the Highlands of Scotland.

I've camped at over 3,000 feet in mid January....

I hate hot weather and reckoned I might as well be miserable at work in
the summer as miserable on holiday.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 29-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:18:15 +0100, David Hill wrote:

"........ A "cold wind" in Ohio is very different from a "cold wind" in the
British Isles. Anyone disputing this concept will be sent to Toledo for the
winter ......."

Fare paid?

No. You'll be sent one (1) dogsled (dogs not supplied), one (1)
pair of snowshoes, and one (1) pair of iceskates. Woolly undies
and warm gloves at your own expense.

Old 29-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Emery Davis
writes

I think they're pretty tolerant. Oddly the RHS ('89) plant guide has them
liking
wet conditions...

Here's my question: anyone have a recipe for anything using service berries?
I know they're edible, but what can you _do_ with them??

Make them into a jelly, like cranberry jelly or red currant jelly. You
can do that with the closely related rowan too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Emery Davis

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:46:57 +0100, Kay Easton said:

] In article , Emery Davis
] writes
]
] I think they're pretty tolerant. Oddly the RHS ('89) plant guide has them
] liking
] wet conditions...
]
] Here's my question: anyone have a recipe for anything using service berries?
] I know they're edible, but what can you _do_ with them??
]
] Make them into a jelly, like cranberry jelly or red currant jelly. You
] can do that with the closely related rowan too.

Thanks Kay, I'll try it if there are enough this year. (Rather, SWMBO will try it,
being in charge of that department.)

-E
--
Emery Davis