Old 24-02-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frogspawn in Shropshire

Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

Mind you, they don't really need the pond since the ground is so incredibly
waterlogged it's difficult to walk on at the moment. They could just bask in
the puddles.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 24-02-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

My tiny pond (in Reading) could easily freeze over in March, but some
frog has laid a huge mass of spawn in a shallow place, with some of the
spawn sticking up above water level.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

I'd like newts. Would they be able to survive in small suburban gardens
if I could get some spawn?

--
Sue ]
Old 25-02-2007, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No spawn here in the West Midlands yet but do have pairs of frog (if you
know what I mean)
Also newts which bred earlier than frogs. I understand that newts eat
frogspawn.

Will have to log in to check my records for last year, but it is rather late
now so leave it till tomorrow/today (sunday)
regards
Cineman

"MadCow" wrote in message
In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Old 25-02-2007, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Newts will survive in small ponds but they do leave water after spawning and
travel for miles during the summer, usually returning to their original
watering hole.
If you could find someone with newts they may let you have a couple, if
anyone close by has newts they may occupy your pond of their own free will.
One of my ponds is about 4 ft by 5 ft made with liner, deepest part is about
1 ft shallowing up to where ive placed old logs and cut down branches for
cover, its the first pond to have spawn every year.
No pump ever used. planted with watermint, and iris, and duckweed, which is
skimmed off during summer. That keeps water clear.

regards
Cineman

"MadCow" wrote in message
In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Old 25-02-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:18:53 +0000, MadCow wrote
(in article ):

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is
teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

My tiny pond (in Reading) could easily freeze over in March, but some
frog has laid a huge mass of spawn in a shallow place, with some of the
spawn sticking up above water level.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

I'd like newts. Would they be able to survive in small suburban gardens
if I could get some spawn?

My understanding (and gut feeling) is that if the conditions are right, the
newts will come (same with the frogs). We did not introduce them, they just
arrived, and we were of course thrilled when we first saw them. They have
multiplied since so presumably they are happy there. This pond is only three
years old, so my best suggestion is to try to make a newt-friendly
environment for them. My son had an absolutely minute pond in South London,
and he had frogs in it which appeared from nowhere - so they do find homes in
unlikely places.

Old 25-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Kent

First frogspawn found this morning in our pond, in North Kent....
Old 25-02-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

Mind you, they don't really need the pond since the ground is so incredibly
waterlogged it's difficult to walk on at the moment. They could just bask in
the puddles.

Our first batch of frog spawn appeared on 13 February (South Devon).
This was 6 weeks earlier than last year. There have been 2 additional
batches so far. The toad and newt spawn tends to be several weeks
later. For the last couple of years we have had to remove the spawn
from the pond to protect it from the attentions of some very predatory
small flatworms that have moved in large numbers and seem to treat the
spawn as a delicacy.
--
Robert
Old 25-02-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/07 15:29, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

[...]

Every year I'm surprised at how long it takes for the spawn to appear in our
pond, given that the toads have been around for some time. I know
absolutely nothing about gestation with regard to toads, so how long DOES it
normally take for them to spawn? Do the females hold off until the weather
warms up a bit, or something?!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent

Just been down the pond now, armed with a torch, and the randy pair are at it again....

Old 25-02-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 25/2/07 15:29, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

[...]

No idea about the comparative gestation times of frogs and toads - based
on the fact that I found a very sleepy male toad still hibernating in a
heap of leaf litter yesterday perhaps they are just more laid back than
the frogs who seem to start mating when weather conditions are still
risky.

--
Robert
Old 26-02-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , MadCow
writes
In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

My tiny pond (in Reading) could easily freeze over in March, but some
frog has laid a huge mass of spawn in a shallow place, with some of the
spawn sticking up above water level.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

I'd like newts. Would they be able to survive in small suburban gardens
if I could get some spawn?

They do, along with the frogs, in our tiny pool and small garden in the
Black Country.
--
John Lloyd, West Midlands, UK.

Old 26-02-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 24 Feb, 20:34, Sally Thompson
wrote:
Saw our first frogspawn of the year today - two weeks earlier than usual
(last year was on 11th March). I think this is very early for this part of
the country. We went out just now with the torch and the big pond is teeming
with frogs. Quite lifts the heart.

Also newts already in the pond, which seems early to us although we haven't
kept a record of dates of those.

Mind you, they don't really need the pond since the ground is so incredibly
waterlogged it's difficult to walk on at the moment. They could just bask in
the puddles.

Just been out on the Clwydian Hills this afternoon, there's a cattle
trough on the side of Foel Fenlli at about 450m asl, part filled with
mud and stones from a landslip leaving only about 50-150mm of water
and it's piled high with frogspawn. I watch this trough every year.
I've seen spawn in there when it's frozen and when it's nearly dry but
there's some there every year - never seen a frog around there
though ;~)

Old 26-02-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Rod
writes
wrote:
[...]

I've seen newts in an undamaged cattle trough on Dartmoor - we could
just about imagine newts walking all the way up there, but we couldn't
see how they'd got into the trough.

Meanwhile, a third frog has spawned in my pondlet.

--
Sue ]
Old 26-02-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/2/07 18:53, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message . com, Rod
writes
wrote:
[...]

At our local pub we rescued a newt which had got into, but couldn't get out
of, a stainless steel drinking bowl for dogs. Dartmoor has lots of boggy,
wet, dewpond bits, so perhaps the newts mostly surive on those?

Meanwhile, a third frog has spawned in my pondlet.

Still no spawn here. I think we have backwardly shy amphibians!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Oswestry, North Shropshire, temperature. 450ft ASL Donwill[_2_] United Kingdom 10 29-11-2010 08:43 AM
Garden Trail - Whitchurch Shropshire - 3 July patrick United Kingdom 0 02-05-2005 06:31 PM
Frogspawn and cats?! mike. buckley United Kingdom 10 29-03-2004 11:32 PM
frogspawn Kay Easton United Kingdom 12 21-03-2004 04:17 AM
Advert/Announce - Shropshire based nursery now online. Andrew M United Kingdom 0 01-07-2003 05:20 PM