Old 29-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Jo Hall

Default Compost

Hello

I am a novice gardener and I have recently been some very helpful advice
from the members of this group regarding starting a vegetable patch.

I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost. My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already planted so can I just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that benefit the
plants at all?

Thanks in advance

Jo

Old 29-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Dcjtee

My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it.

You will need a bit more than a bucketful. Farmyard muck is probably easiest
and plentyful to get going with.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Old 29-03-2004, 03:06 PM
nick gray

"Jo Hall" wrote in message
Hello

I am a novice gardener and I have recently been some very helpful advice
from the members of this group regarding starting a vegetable patch.

I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost. My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already planted so can I

just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that benefit the
plants at all?

Thanks in advance

Jo

Hi Jo,

Spread it on the surface of the soil to act as a mulch. The nutrients that
it contains will leach into the soil and benefit the plants, as well as help
supress weeds, although a bucket full isn't likely to go very far.

Mixing the compost with soil is normally done to make the compost 'go
further' or can sometimes be 'too rich' for seedlings or small plants.

HTH

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2004, 03:06 PM
nick gray

"Dcjtee" wrote in message
My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it.

You will need a bit more than a bucketful. Farmyard muck is probably

easiest
and plentyful to get going with.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Although make sure it is composted manure. If used neat it will scorch your
lettuce and strawberries.

Cheers

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2004, 03:07 PM
redclay

Jo Hall wrote in message
Hello
I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost. My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already planted so can I

just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that benefit the
plants at all?
Thanks in advance
Jo

If you plan on making your own compost pile you can use the bucket as a
starter. If not then yes you can spread the compost like you would mulch.
The nutrients will leach into the ground and be taken up by the plants. If
you bag your grass cuttings you can use that as well which will retain
moisture. In the fall the layer of mulch can be turned into the soil. I
think of it as a continuous composting operation. Once every two weeks I
spread a little 10-10-10 on the surface of the "composting mulch" to assist
the process.

Old 29-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Jo Hall" contains these words:

Hello

I am a novice gardener and I have recently been some very helpful advice
from the members of this group regarding starting a vegetable patch.

I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost. My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already planted so can I just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that benefit the
plants at all?

Thanks in advance

Jo

Yes it would. The worms will do the hard work and draw the goodness
down. Personally I`d only do it to the strawberries as I am not sure how
lettuce reacts.

If you really get going then you have to get your crop rotation right to
suit each veggie. E.G. Root crops like carrots dont like compost or
manure as it makes them fork. Plenty of advice out there and plenty of
good advice available in this newsgroup too. 8-))

You`ll like having strawberries you can just pop down the garden to munch on.
Old 29-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Inge Jones
writes
In article ,
says...

If you plan on making your own compost pile you can use the bucket as a
starter. If not then yes you can spread the compost like you would mulch.
The nutrients will leach into the ground and be taken up by the plants. If
you bag your grass cuttings you can use that as well which will retain
moisture. In the fall the layer of mulch can be turned into the soil. I
think of it as a continuous composting operation. Once every two weeks I
spread a little 10-10-10 on the surface of the "composting mulch" to assist
the process.

How do people stop the level of their soil rising too much if they keep
adding these mulches? Is there somewhere you can dispose of the old
stuff?

It rots down, gets used as food by plants - overall, the level of the
soil does not rise appreciably.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Inge Jones contains these words:

In article ,
says...

If you plan on making your own compost pile you can use the bucket as a
starter. If not then yes you can spread the compost like you would mulch.
The nutrients will leach into the ground and be taken up by the
plants. If
you bag your grass cuttings you can use that as well which will retain
moisture. In the fall the layer of mulch can be turned into the soil. I
think of it as a continuous composting operation. Once every two weeks I
spread a little 10-10-10 on the surface of the "composting mulch" to
assist
the process.

How do people stop the level of their soil rising too much if they keep
adding these mulches? Is there somewhere you can dispose of the old
stuff?

The last thing you want to do is dispose of precious old stuff! It's
black gold.

Mulched soil doesn't "rise up too much". As the mulch material
decomposes it shrinks; worms drag it down, eat digest and expell it, and
ultimately, plants feed on the broken down components. I often pile on
mulch at least 6 inches thick on the soil surface; by the end of a
growing season it will have completely disappeared, the soil is at much
the same level as it was before mulching...but much richer.

Think about it; mulch becomes the humus in soil. Plants are built from
what they extract from the humus. Left to their own devices, they
ultimately return to the soil when they die, to become humus in their
turn. When we pull out, or prune plants, we're interrupting that cycle
of soil-replenishment and taking something away. In other words, beds
that are continually cropped, whose soil is not replenished with
soil-building material, gradually shrinks.

Janet.

Old 29-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Inge Jones

In article ,
says...

[...]

Yes that makes sense. Thing is I've got such a tiny garden that when we
bought some manure and soil improver last year before planting, it all
heaped up several inches! The fact we'd just dug it all didn'thelp,
because that always puffs it out a bit too.

Well I'm not going to have a compost heap of my own and the neighbours
don't either as that would take up about 20% of the planting area, so
what's the best easily-available bagged stuff to spread each year?
Old 29-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jo Hall" contains these words:

I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost. My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already planted so can I just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that benefit the
plants at all?

Yes, and yes. The worms will mix it in, however, you can help matters by
gently hoeing it in the surface.

But don't give any to root veg or (especially) to onions.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/