Old 29-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Compost

The message
from Inge Jones contains these words:

Well I'm not going to have a compost heap of my own and the neighbours
don't either as that would take up about 20% of the planting area, so
what's the best easily-available bagged stuff to spread each year?

Mushroom compost? (Try yellow pages under mushroom producers). Or,
your local council may sell compost it makes from green-waste
collections.

Janet

Old 30-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Victoria Clare

Inge Jones wrote in news:MPG.1ad32da496a865ba98a026
@text.giganews.com:

I mean I know I could just potter round and put something in my trolley,
but it's really hard to get any advice when you're at the garden centre,
so I though if I was forearmed it would be better.

I think you are looking for something that says 'soil conditioner' on the
bag, rather than 'potting compost'. I think I've even seen spend mushroom
compost in some garden centres.

Having said that, your garden won't care - the idea is just to bump up the
organic matter a bit and stick on a layer of something to make life a bit
harder for the weed seedlings, so almost anything in the 'compost' line
will do the job.

If the garden is that small, steer away from the bags of manure, because
that does pong for several days, and will also be a bit strong applied to a
small area. You can get smaller pots of pelleted manure - many plants will
really appreciate a sprinkling of that with the mulch, but if in doubt,
post your plants here and then we can tell you if they are hungry feeders
or not.

Victoria
Old 30-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Inge Jones

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks Victoria! Hehe I did actually buy several bags of manure when we
were getting it ready for planting. When we inherited the garden it had
a shed on slabs across the entire lower third, concrete on the upper
third, and an impacted lawn that only grew in patches for the middle
bit.

When we pulled down the shed and lifted the slabs, there was loads of
sand and grit everywhere, with clay several inches down. So where we
wanted to plant we dug in a load of bagged farmyard manure, as it seemed
the quickest way to get some nutrition and fibre into the soil. The
plants seem to be doing ok, just coming into their first full year, but
my goodness it whiffed! )-:

Can I fill my empty fern-bed-to-be with soil conditioner, or isn't that
enough on its own?

--
http://www.simlogical.com
Behaviour modified objects for behaviour modification
Old 30-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Jo Hall

Thank you all for your contrubutions.

I think I am going to spread the compost on my strawberries but keep it away
from the lettuces. What's left over i'll use as a basis for my own compost
heap.

Thanks again

Jo

Old 30-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

The message
from Inge Jones contains these words:

Well I'm not going to have a compost heap of my own and the neighbours
don't either as that would take up about 20% of the planting area, so
what's the best easily-available bagged stuff to spread each year?

Mushroom compost? (Try yellow pages under mushroom producers). Or,
your local council may sell compost it makes from green-waste
collections.

Janet

Our council gives away the resulting compost from the local cemetary.
All the flowers, leaves and grass cuttings etc. The amazing thing
is...... wont even consider delivery untill it`s a 10 ton load. Thats a
considerable amount of compost!!!

They do say its given away as soil improver and not compost tho.
Old 30-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jo Hall" wrote in message
Hello

I am a novice gardener and I have recently been some very

helpful advice
from the members of this group regarding starting a

vegetable patch.

I have now dug my patch and planted my first batch of

lettuces and
strawberries. However, my questions relates to compost.

My neighbour has
kindly donated a bucket of homemade compost and I am not

sure what to do
with it. All the books I have read on the subject have

advised to mix the
compost with the soil before planting. I have already

planted so can I just
spread the compost on the surface of the soil? Would that

benefit the
plants at all?

I always put my compost only on the surface as a mulch. The
worms are happier at digging it in than I am.

Franz

Old 30-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

The last thing you want to do is dispose of precious

old stuff! It's
black gold.

Mulched soil doesn't "rise up too much". As the mulch

material
decomposes it shrinks; worms drag it down, eat digest

and expell it, and
ultimately, plants feed on the broken down components. I

often pile on
mulch at least 6 inches thick on the soil surface; by

the end of a
growing season it will have completely disappeared, the

soil is at much
the same level as it was before mulching...but much

richer.

Think about it; mulch becomes the humus in soil. Plants

are built from
what they extract from the humus. Left to their own

devices, they
ultimately return to the soil when they die, to become

humus in their
turn. When we pull out, or prune plants, we're

interrupting that cycle
of soil-replenishment and taking something away. In

other words, beds
that are continually cropped, whose soil is not

replenished with
soil-building material, gradually shrinks.

Janet.

Yes that makes sense. Thing is I've got such a tiny

garden that when we
bought some manure and soil improver last year before

planting, it all
heaped up several inches! The fact we'd just dug it all

didn'thelp,
because that always puffs it out a bit too.

Well I'm not going to have a compost heap of my own and

the neighbours
don't either as that would take up about 20% of the

planting area, so
what's the best easily-available bagged stuff to spread

each year?

Contact your local authority and ask them if they operate a
composting system for vegetable household refuse. More and
more are now doing it as part of an enlightened recycling
programme.

Or, try and locate a mushroom farm near you. Many of them
sell bagged spent mushroom compost quite cheaply. The stuff
has a lovely earthy smell, and often you are rewarded with a
crop of some mushrooms as well.

Franz

Old 30-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Inge Jones
writes
Can I fill my empty fern-bed-to-be with soil conditioner, or isn't that
enough on its own?

Ferns aren't greedy feeders. If it were me, I would fill the fern bed
with a bark based peat free soilless compost, like New Horizon.

That said, most of our fern beds were created from up-side down lawn
turves - it was what we had available at the time!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: