Old 30-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default How much top soil

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"martyn.green"
wrote in message
ws.com...
I need to increase the surface level in my garden prior to

laying new
turf. I want to order top soil but do not know how much I

need. How do
you work out how much you need. For instance if I have an

area of 20ft
x 10ft = 200sq ft and I want to raise the level by 2

inches how much
soil do I need?

67 cu ft or just under 2.5 cubic yards.

You have slipped up by a factor of two. Please accept a rap over the
knuckles with a (wooden, 12") ruler and go to the bottom of the class!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
message ...

"martyn.green"

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to increase the surface level in my garden prior

laying new
turf. I want to order top soil but do not know how much

need. How do
you work out how much you need. For instance if I have

an
area of 20ft
x 10ft = 200sq ft and I want to raise the level by 2

inches how much
soil do I need?

67 cu ft or just under 2.5 cubic yards.

OOPS!!

33.3 cu ft or just under 1,25 cubic yards.

Franz

Old 30-03-2004, 11:43 PM
shazzbat

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to increase the surface level in my garden prior

laying new
turf. I want to order top soil but do not know how much

need. How do
you work out how much you need. For instance if I have

an
area of 20ft
x 10ft = 200sq ft and I want to raise the level by 2

inches how much
soil do I need?

67 cu ft or just under 2.5 cubic yards.

OOPS!!

33.3 cu ft or just under 1,25 cubic yards.

Tut tut, you mean 0.944 cu.metres.
I wouldn't let the trading standards catch you selling it in Cu yds, or
they'll send you to jail.

Steve

Old 31-03-2004, 08:03 AM
PK

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Franz Heymann" wrote in
message ...

"martyn.green"

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to increase the surface level in my garden prior to laying
new turf. I want to order top soil but do not know how much I need.
How do you work out how much you need. For instance if I have an
area of 20ft x 10ft = 200sq ft and I want to raise the level by 2
inches how much soil do I need?

67 cu ft or just under 2.5 cubic yards.

OOPS!!

33.3 cu ft or just under 1,25 cubic yards.

Franz

Ah but..... what about settlemnt after spreading? How much to allow for....?

pk

Old 01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:53:52 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

er.co.uk
wrote

I need to increase the surface level in my garden prior to laying
new turf. I want to order top soil but do not know how much I need.
How do you work out how much you need. For instance if I have an
area of 20ft x 10ft = 200sq ft and I want to raise the level by 2
inches how much soil do I need?

33.3 cu ft or just under 1,25 cubic yards.

Ah but..... what about settlemnt after spreading? How much to allow for....?

Perhaps he could just borrow Phil's soil-generating mole?

Old 02-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Rod

wrote:

Ah but..... what about settlemnt after spreading? How much to allow for....?

You should know ;-) but for the op - thinking about this now could
save you some bother later. If you are going to be turfing up to a
kerb, path or 'mowing stone' you need to ensure that your finished
grass level after thorough firming will be a couple of inches above
that kerb or path. If it comes below then mowing and keeping a decent
edge becomes quite difficult. If you're only raising it by 2 inches
then I suggest buying enough soil to raise it by at least 3 inches
after you've firmed it and prepared your seedbed - I say seedbed
because turf needs similar preparation to seeding (something more
usually honoured in the breach, even by 'pros' who should know
better). A bigger settlement allowance will be needed for greater
depths of soil. It's best if you can allow a few weeks for preparation
and settlement rather than trying to get everything done all in one
go, that way you're more likely to get the soil level where you want
it.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:53:52 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:
Franz Heymann wrote:
er.co.uk
wrote

I need to increase the surface level in my garden prior to laying
new turf. I want to order top soil but do not know how much I need.
How do you work out how much you need. For instance if I have an
area of 20ft x 10ft = 200sq ft and I want to raise the level by 2
inches how much soil do I need?

33.3 cu ft or just under 1,25 cubic yards.

Ah but..... what about settlemnt after spreading? How much to allow
for....?

Perhaps he could just borrow Phil's soil-generating mole?

I blame Ken Livingstone - extending the London Underground...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/